SharePod is a lightweight music management program for your iPod. You can copy music and videos between your iPod and computers – usually without having to install anything on the computer.
Before you get too far into this, I strongly suggest that you backup anything currently on your iPod, as there is a chance that something could go wrong and your data could be lost. You’ll also want to avoid running SharePod and iTunes at the same time, as neither application will know about changes made by the other, and your iPod could get out of sync with both.
SharePod requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – which can be downloaded here.
- First, make sure to enable disk use on your iPod by connecting it and opening iTunes (if it doesn’t auto-launch). Select your iPod and then click the Settings tab. Scroll down to the Options section and remove the check from the box labeled Open iTunes when this iPod is attached. Then place a check in the Enable disk use box (if it isn’t checked already). Click Apply.
- Exit out of iTunes, and confirm that your iPod has now mounted itself as a drive.
- Download SharePod and unzip the file. Copy the entire SharePod folder to your iPod. Once it’s on your iPod, double-click the SharePod.exe file.
- If you don’t have the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed on your computer, you’ll get an error similar to the one below.
- Otherwise, SharePod will launch.
- To add files to your iPod, click the Copy to iPod button from the top toolbar.
- To add an entire folders worth of files, click the Add Folder button.
- Navigate to and select the folder you want to copy, then click OK.
- Repeat the above steps until you have all the files and folders that you want to copy to your iPod listed. Then click OK.
- You’ll be prompted to confirm the addition of sub-folders. Select Yes or No based on your personal preference.
- And all of the files will copy over to your iPod. When they’re done copying, click OK.
- Back in the main SharePod window, everything that you copied to your iPod will be listed.
- At any point in the future if you want to copy files from your iPod to your computer (or someone elses), launch SharePod, select the files you want to copy, and click the Copy to PC button.
- Choose the location on the computers hard drive where you want the files to be saved, and an organizational format for those files. Click OK..
- And the files will copy from your iPod to the PC. Click OK when you’re done.
- You can use the Eject iPod button when you’re done, and that should eject your iPod and close SharePod.
- But be sure to double-check, because I couldn’t always get my iPod to successfully eject. Right click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in your taskbar and check to make sure that the iPod was properly ejected.
- If there’s a USB Mass Storage Device listed, select it and click the Stop button. If your iPod is listed, select it and click OK (if it’s not listed, click cancel and exit your way out of the Safely Remove Hardware window).
- Now you can safely disconnect your iPod from your PC.