This brief tutorial will guide you through changing the Ubuntu login screen, and provide a few resources so that you can download some additional themes.
- First up, you’ll want to find a login theme or two that appeal to you. Gnome-look.org has plenty, and provides a number of ways to sort through them (most popular, highest rated, alphabetical etc). Once you’ve found a login theme that you like, download it – but don’t decompress the tar.gz file. Just remember where you saved it.
From the Ubuntu menu, select System -> Administration -> Login Window.
- When prompted, enter your password.
- From the Login Window Preferences screen, select the Local tab. Then click the + Add button.
- Navigate to the login screen theme that you downloaded, select it, and click the Install button.
- Now your newly installed login theme will be listed along with the others. Select it (and make sure no others are selected) and click the Close button.
- Save any open work you have, then log out of your current session. Your new login theme will appear when you have to log back in. That’s it!