This brief tutorial will show you how to quickly turn GPS on or off on your Android phone/device.
If you’ve ever enabled GPS on your Android based phone, you know that you have to navigate through a bunch of screens just to get to the location to turn it on. Using Toggle GPS, enabling and disabling GPS can be done with just a couple of taps/clicks.
- Start out by opening the Market from your Applications list.
- Select Search.
- In the search box, enter the phrase toggle gps and run a search.
- The first result should be GPS Toggle Widget by Rounded Labs. If it’s not, scroll down until you find it. Once you do, select it.
- Tap the Install button.
- After reviewing the permissions and confirming that you’re OK with them, tap the OK button.
- After GPS Toggle Widget has installed, add it to one of your home screens. If you need help adding widgets to your home screen, see this tutorial.
- If GPS isn’t currently enabled on your phone/device, the widget icon will be of a satellite “not transmitting” – as indicated in the screenshot below. Tap the widget.
- You’ll be taken directly to the My Location sources sub-section of the Security & location settings. From here you can enable (or disable) the use of wireless networks and enable (again, or disable) the use of GPS satellites.
- With GPS enabled, the GPS Toggle Widget will show a satellite “transmitting” – as indicated in the screenshot below.
- So any time you need to quickly enable or disable GPS – use the widget.