This tutorial will guide you through the steps to install Dropbox on your Kindle Fire.
As you have probably noticed, Dropbox is not available to download/install through the Amazon Market. That doesn’t mean you can’t install it though – it just takes a few extra steps.
- Start out by “pulling-down” the Kindle Menu, and select More… from the list.
- Scroll down and select Device from the Settings Menu.
- Change the Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources entry from OFF to ON
- Return to your Kindle Fire Home Screen, and select Web from the navigation bar.
- Now enter: https://www.dropbox.com/android in your browser’s address bar. It’s important to note the s in https – regular http will not work.
Now tap the Download App button. You’ll notice a small ‘downloading’ icon appear in the Notifications section (upper left corner) of your Kindle Fire.
- Once the download has completed, pull down the Notifications window. Tap the dropbox.apk file (note: the file name may vary over time).
- Now you’ll be prompted to install Dropbox – as you would any other App on your Kindle Fire. Tap the Install button.
- Give Dropbox a moment or two for the installation…
- and once it has completed, tap Open. Now you’ll be presented with the ‘Dropbox overview’ – just tap Next until the overview is done.
- Finally, you’ll be presented with the Dropbox sign-in/sign-up window. Tap the appropriate button (if you already have a Dropbox account, tap I’m already a Dropbox user).
- After you sign in, you’ll be presented with your Dropbox account – all of your stored files.
- Now you can use Dropbox on and from your Amazon Kindle Fire. To launch it again in the future, just access your Apps, and tap the Device option. That’s it!