This very brief tutorial will show you how to install Xcode in OS X Lion.
While this process isn’t exactly difficult, it is slightly more complicated than it should be. Note: Xcode is a 1.68GB download, and results in at least 3.97GB of used disk space. Plan your installation accordingly.
- Launch the App Store on your Mac. In the Search bar, enter xcode.
- Click the INSTALL APP button for Xcode
- Sit and wait. Grab yourself a cup of coffee. Peruse the other Mac tutorials on Simple Help (shameless I know…). This is the part where the 1.68GB installer file is being downloaded. The time it takes to download will depend on your Internet connection speed.
- Once the status changes to INSTALLED your Xcode download has completed. However, Xcode has not actually been installed, which is slightly misleading. Continue to the next step to install Xcode.
- Quit iTunes if it’s open. Launch a Finder window and navigate to your Applications folder. Locate the Install Xcode file and double-click it.
- Click the Install button in the Install Xcode window. You may want to refill that coffee, the installation takes a while.
Note: if during the installation your receive an error that states iTunes is open and needs to quit, even though it’s not open – follow these steps:
- Open the Activity Monitor (located in your Applications -> Utilities folder).
- Locate the iTunes Helper entry from the Process Name column. Select it by clicking it once. Click the large red Quit Process button in the upper-left corner of the window, then click the Quit button in the confirmation window.
- You should be able to continue the installation now.
- Once the installation has completed, Xcode will launch.
- Xcode does not install itself to your Applications folder. Rather, it can be found in /Developer/Applications/.
- Yes, you can delete the Install Xcode file from your Applications folder to save on disk space. You may want to back it up first – if you ever need to re-install Xcode, having that file handy will save you from having to download it again.
- Happy Developing!