This brief tutorial will show you how to create hanging indents in Word Documents via Microsoft Office for Mac.
Hanging indents are required for formatting APA Reference pages and/or adhering to MLA 2009 for Works Cited pages. The example shown below is APA.
Note: the Windows version of this tutorial can be found here.
- Locate the section in your document that you would like to add hanging indents to.
- Select all of the text in that section.
- Hover your cursor over the ‘arrows’ in the Ruler until you see the text Hanging Indent. Note: if you don’t see the Ruler at the top of your document, select View from the top menu, and then Ruler from the drop-down list.
- Click on the ‘arrows’ (make sure your cursor is still on the Hanging Indent option) and drag to the right.
Each of the lines except the first will now move to the right – indented properly.
- That’s it – you’re done! You now have a document with properly formated hanging indents.