This very brief tutorial will show you how to completely disable the Apple Remote (infrared receiver) on your Mac (running Mountain Lion).
The procedure to disable an Apple Remote from being able to control your Mac has changed slightly from previous versions of OS X. The steps below will show you how to turn it off if you’re using Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
- Click the “Apple Button” in your Menu Bar (upper left corner of your screen) and select System Preferences… from the menu. When the System Preferences window appears, select Security & Privacy from the Personal section.
- If the “Lock” icon in the bottom right corner of the window is “unlocked” – skip down to step #4 below. If it’s “locked”, click the Lock icon itself.
- Enter your password when prompted.
- Now click the Advanced… button.
- Place a check in the box labeled Disable remote control infrared receiver.
- Exit out of the System Preferences. Now, your Mac will not be controllable via the Apple Remote (or any other infrared remote). So you can finally stop having to quickly change something on your (nearby) Mac when you use the remote to control your Apple TV :)