If you’re at all like me when it comes to looking up names, your first thought is the persons first name. By default, the iPhone (and iPad, and iPod Touch) Contacts App sorts your contacts by last name. Here’s how to switch that so they’re sorted by first name.
- As you can see, by default, your contacts will be sorted by Last Name. Lets switch that.
- Tap the Settings button.
- Tap the Mail, Contacts, Calendars entry.
- Scroll down to the Contacts section. From here, tap the Last, First entry next to Sort Order.
- Select the First, Last option (make sure it has a check-mark next to it to confirm it has been properly selected). Then tap the Mail… button to return to the previous screen.
- The Sort Order should now be listed as First, Last.
- Return to your Contacts App to make sure the change was applied.
- That’s it!