This brief tutorial will show you how to stop the content of txt/sms messages from displaying on your iPhone’s “Lock Screen”.
By default (as illustrated in the image below) your iPhone will ‘wake up’ and display incoming TXT/SMS messages as they arrive.
This can be an issue if you don’t want people to see those messages and your iPhone is just laying around. Here’s how you can stop the content of the message from being displayed and still be notified when a new one arrives.
- Tap the Settings button on your iPhone.
- Tap Notifications
- Scroll down to Messages and select it.
- Scroll down to the Show Preview ON/OFF switch, and toggle it to OFF
- Now when you receive text messages your screen will still turn on, but the notification will only include the name of the person and the type of message (in this case a Text Message) – not the contents of the message itself.
- If you want to completely disable Lock Screen notifications for your received text messages, go back to Settings -> Notifications -> Messages and then scroll down to the View in Lock Screen ON/OFF switch, and toggle it to OFF.
- That’s it!