How to sync your Google Calendar with your Windows Mobile 5 smartphone

This tutorial will guide you though installing and setting up GCalendarSync, which allows you to sync Google Calendar with your Windows Mobile 5 smartphone. GCalendarSync is free (it’s released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License) and absolutely genius. GCalendarSync doesn’t require that you dock your smartphone or use Outlook in order to sync your Google Calendar with your smartphone.

Though GCalendarSync does support 2 way syncing, you may want to review the Notes section here to understand the limitations (eg. Date/Title changes on the mobile device to events already existing online will be overwritten by the online data).

Before you get started, make sure that you have the .NET 2.0 Compact Framework installed, as it’s required by GCalendarSync.

1. Open Internet Explorer Mobile and load http://files.thegooley.com/gcal
  2. GCalendarSync

3. Download the file GCalSyncSetup.CAB to your Windows Mobile device. note: you can also download the file and transfer it via ActiveSync or whatever software you use to copy files from your computer to your Windows Mobile device.
  4. GCalendarSync

5. Once the file is on your Windows Mobile device, select it using the File Explorer. GCalendarSync will start the installation process.
  6. GCalendarSync

7. Click Yes when asked to confirm the installation.
  8. GCalendarSync

9. Select a location to install GCalendarSync (if you have a storage card you can install it on that) and then click Install.
  10. GCalendarSync

11. Click Done once the installation has completed.
  12. GCalendarSync

13. Launch GCalendarSync from your programs section. Enter your Google Calendar username and password in the spaces provided, and select Save Password if you don’t want to enter it each time you sync. Make sure that the GMT time zone is set correctly, otherwise your Windows Mobile calendar events won’t be set to the correct time. Now click the Save Settings button, then the Pick Calendars button.
  14. GCalendarSync

15. Select each of the calendars you want to sync with your Windows Mobile device. Click Options when you’ve selected them all (even if you only have one).
  16. GCalendarSync

17. Select the Choose Default item from the Options list.
  18. GCalendarSync

19. Select the calendar you want to be set as the default. When you add events in Windows Mobile, this is the calendar that those events will sync with. Click Done.
  20. GCalendarSync

21. Click Done again.
  22. GCalendarSync

23. At this point you’ll be prompted to import your Google Calendar(s). Click Yes.
  24. GCalendarSync

25. Your Google Calendar events will now be added to your Windows Mobile device (and vice versa).
  26. GCalendarSync

27. A summary will appear in the bottom status section once the sync has completed.
  28. GCalendarSync

29. And now your Google Calendar events will be available in your Windows Mobile calendar.
  30. GCalendarSync

31. As long as GCalendarSync is running – and you’re connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or GPRS, your Google Calendar and Windows Mobile device will be in sync.
  32. GCalendarSync

• shaf October 22, 2007, 4:27 pm

i don’t have outlook on my computer..only windows mail.
    I have a windows mobile with data on it..contacts calendar being the main thing i would like to see in my windows calendar and contacts. ….

so now i thought of syncing google calendar with my mobile pim data and after exporting the content to a file, which i could import into windows calendar.
    But i see this program only deals with this sync-issue from one side…calendar data to mobile first.

how is it possible to sync van mobile to calendar?

it’s maybe of topic, but does anyone know a way to sync windows mobile content with vista’s standard calendar/contact content? i was surprised when i learned that this was not possibe.

thanks

Shafiq
    Holland, Utrecht

• Andy November 25, 2007, 6:37 pm

Hi – Love the app! Been using it to sync my Moto Q. One problem. The times of the events on my google calendar are 5 hours off(behind) the events as they show on my PDA. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Andy November 28, 2007, 5:23 pm

Nice app, but I’m still having trouble with the time zone. Both my Google calendar and device(Motorola Q) are set to GMT-5, but my appointments come into my device from Google calendar as 5 hours early. Any ideas?

A

• Todd Ruth December 2, 2007, 8:10 am

great concept. however it runs an error on my mobile Q that says it can’t locate my google calendar… i do have google calendar set up already. any toughts?

• Chad December 6, 2007, 8:29 am

I have a HTC Touch with Windows Mobile 6 will this software work on it?

• AJ December 19, 2007, 10:32 am

Andy, you need to set the GMT offset to properly align the time w/ your timezone. It’s in the program’s “options”.

• amy August 9, 2008, 11:04 pm

I too have an issue with the timezone. I have mine set up for Pacific on my phone and in my gmail calendar. It is syncing 7 hours behind. Any other suggestions?

• Jph August 16, 2008, 11:58 am

Hi,

unfortunately the tool only works with one calendar with my device.
    If I choose more than one calendar the events are not imported.

Cheers,

JPH

• Anne September 2, 2008, 9:48 pm

This was beautiful! I am so excited to be able to synch my calendars, I thought I would have to go through outlook, but I love my google calendar, and I love the Q.

Thank you DEARLY for the screenshots, they really help visual learners. I am so thankful for this amazing technology, and for those who take time to help us learn it.

Much Love to you!

• Joseph Zitt September 25, 2008, 10:06 pm

Screenshots seem quite helpful, but it’s apparently broken. My username and password, which I *have* entered correctly (I checked, several times), are not recognized.

How may I get a working version?

• Sam September 28, 2008, 7:33 am

Hi,

I installed this amazing tool on my HTC WM5, it could reload list from my Google calendar, sounds the connection is established. But the result is always “Imported 0 and exported 0 events”, nothing actually sync…

Any idea?

• Terry November 12, 2008, 10:12 am

Me too – loaded to a WM 6 though.

It runs OK, can load my list of calendars, but when I sync the result is always “Imported 0 and exported 0 events”

• Giannina November 12, 2008, 6:42 pm

I’m having a similar problem, I’ve checked and checked to ensure my google ID is correct, and I just get a message saying FAILED: Property “googleid” does not exist.

How can I fix this? I need this app!

• Dartagnan January 5, 2009, 2:09 pm

Ai suivi tts instructions, mais lorsque j’installe .net compac framework sur mon PC, puis que je connecte mon mobile (HTC one Touch) celui-ci m’indique qu’il contient déjà une version de framework plus récente, et après avoir entré mon identifiant plus mot de passe, et sélectionné un agenda (qui ne reste pas sélectionné) il ne trouve aucun évènement sur l’agenda de mon PC, et ne fait aucun transfert. Dommage. Ai-je oublié quelque chose ?

• Jaime May 5, 2009, 9:56 pm

I installed it in my motoq and when runing it Igot this error:
    this application requires a recent microsoft.net compact framework than the one installed in this device.
    Any ideas on what I can do ?

• Jaime May 6, 2009, 9:15 pm

Hi, I already solve the microsoft.net compact framework problem And the sync between outlook, gcalendar and mymotoq is working buuuuut every time y push to sync my Q AL THE APPOINMENTS DUPLICATE ( SEVERAL TIMES ) can someone tell me how to resolve this, deleting them one by one is very annoying much more if you have a lot of them.

• Dan Moritz November 1, 2009, 10:17 am

I want the synch to kickoff when I connect my laptop to my phone via USB. I don’t want to use the network for synching.

• froil April 18, 2010, 3:40 pm

Another free way for syncing your mobile calendar with Google is http://www.syncme.se/. Have a look, way better than GooSync…

• Marcos June 6, 2010, 9:00 pm

Muito bom o tutorial. Cara será se tem como fazer isso no Samsung GT-S3650 Corby? Tô penando a procura dessa configuração e não encontro.

• zolee001 March 10, 2011, 5:31 pm

Thanks, great job!
    Works fine on Sony Xperia X2 WM 6.5

• Manfred March 21, 2011, 5:03 pm

I downloaded it on an HP hw6945 running WM5. Was able to log on to my calender but it downloaded nothing.

• Manfred March 21, 2011, 8:26 pm

I removed it, tried a few other tools, reinstalled this – and it worked!

• Manfred March 22, 2011, 9:50 am

OK – so it’s not transferring recurring events from the Google calendar to Outlook :-(

• Manfred March 22, 2011, 3:10 pm

The straw that broke the camel’s back: several times a day, the same several hundred meeting notices in Outlook would generate past-due alarms. This was a recurring event that showed no sign of abating. So I removed this program from my phone and am exploring a direct sync between Google calendar and Outlook – which is then pushed to my phone.

• Ross McKillop March 22, 2011, 3:14 pm

Manfred – with the updates that have been made to both Google Calendar and Outlook – there probably is a better way than the one outlined above (which is almost 4 years old now..).

I’d love to update this tutorial but I no longer have a windows mobile smartphone to figure out the easiest way to do it…

• Manfred March 22, 2011, 3:19 pm

Ross – thanks for your note, and for paying attention! Whoda thunk old technology wouldn’t be the hot ticket today? :-)

• Pim May 4, 2011, 4:58 pm

As for username do not fill in the part: “@gmail.com”, only your name!!!

But syncing does not work for me.
    Always 0 items!?

Any clues?

• Henry Joseph Bowden June 8, 2011, 11:53 am

Anyone without extensive experience and knowledge of computers, mobile synching etc does not stand a hope in hell of installing this software. Why did you have to make it so damned complicated? Please ask your software developers to get their heads out of the clouds and produce something that normal people can use.