Delicious Library has been out for a while. I know this. I’ve had their site bookmarked for months, and during my last ‘bookmark cleanup’, I decided it was time to finally time to download and install it. The following article is part tutorial, part overview, and has lots of screenshots. If you’re a serious DVD, book or CD collector, you may want to take it for a spin.
Delicious Library is $39.95 to purchase, but a time-limited demo is also available. (2020 Update: it’s unclear on the current price, I cannot get the “Buy Now” page to load. You’ll need Mac OS X 10.3 “Panther” or higher.
- Since you’re using the demo version of Delicious Library, you’ll be prompted to click USE DEMO every time you open the program. Such is life..
- The very first time you open Delicious Library, you’ll be asked if you want to Create an empty library or Start with our sample library. I opted for creating my own..
- Assuming you have an iSight camera – be it built in or USB (or Firewire?) – you’ll want to try the bar code scanner feature right away. It’s actually pretty cool. Click the Toggle iSight monitor button at the bottom of the window.
- A new window will open with a ‘bar code scanner’ across the screen. Hold a book, CD or DVD up to your iSight. Adjust it until the bar code is being ‘scanned’ by the red lines. It’s a little awkward at first if you’re using an iSight built into your Mac (Macbook, Macbook Pro or iMac). You’ll get used it to. I suspect this process is even easier if you have an external iSight, but can’t confirm that (’cause I don’t).
- When Delicious Library recognizes the item, it’ll import a whole slew of info about it. And if your speakers are on and the volume is up – don’t be too surprised when Delicious Library “reads” the item out loud to you (this feature can be turned off in the Preferences). The Album/Book/Movie name, cover-art, author/artist etc. is all imported. If it’s an album, the tracklist will be imported.
- If for any reason Delicious Library can’t find the right info about an item using the scanner, you can always search. Just enter the title or artist (or both) and click the Find by Title button.
- From the list of search results, click the + (plus) sign and it will add that item to your library.
- If you own multiple items by the same author (or artist, band etc) – you can search for that name, and click the + (plus signs) next to each item you own.
- Use the slider at the bottom of the window to increase the size of your shelf icons.
- One neat feature is the ability to ‘check out’ things from your Delicious Library. Lend your friend a couple of DVD’s? Click the Add a new user button and locate your friend in your address book. Then you can drag those DVD’s to his/her entry in your Borrowers list. So in six months when you’ve completely forgotten who you lent them to, now you’ll be able to ‘remember’.
- Double-click any of the items on any of your shelves, and a detailed window will appear.
- As a nice added bonus, Delicious Library includes a Dashboard widget that lets you quickly search through your items.