This tutorial will guide you through installing, setting up and using ShoZu, one of the Flickr recommended 3rd party mobile tools. The steps and screenshots are specific to Windows Mobile 5.x, but should be somewhat similar for other mobile phones.
I should also mention up front – you can use ShoZu to upload pictures to a number of services, not just Flickr. Facebook, Blogger, WordPress, Picassa and TypePad are just a few of the other supported services.
Important: uploading pictures with ShoZu will require you to use a data connection. In some countries, this isn’t an obstacle. Canada is not one of those countries. My monthly “plan” includes 1.5MB of data transfers. Each additional KB is 5¢ (that’s right). However, my phone is Wi-Fi enabled, which means I can send and receive as much data as I want (when connected to a free wireless network). The only time I use ShoZu is when I’m connected via WiFi.
- Click on the link that ShoZu sends you as a text message.
- Download the file. It will probably auto-run once the download has completed.
- Select a location to install ShoZu, and click Install.
- Locate ShoZu from your programs list, and launch it.
- Highlight Share-It and select it.
- Click OK on the Alert.
- Highlight Destinations and select it.
- You’ll be told that you haven’t set up a destination yet, and to use the Menu button to create a new one. Select Add new destination from the Menu list.
- Click Yes
- Review and accept the user agreement.
- Scroll down to Flickr and select it.
- Click OK to confirm.
- The Destination name will probably be pre-populated. If you’re OK with the default name, click Done.
- Click OK on the Alert window.
- Check the email account that you used to register ShoZu. There should be an email from them with a link you’ll need to follow in order to send pictures to Flickr via ShoZu. Click that link.
- You’ll be taken to your Flickr account and there should be a You have successfully authorized the application ShoZu.
- Now back on your mobile phone, open your picture-taking application.
- Take a snapshot of something..
- And ShoZu will pop up on its own. You can send it directly to Flickr now with one click (by selecting Yes).
- Or you can scroll through the ‘options’. For example, selecting Add details..
- allows you to change the Title, Description and Tags.
- After your edits, select Menu and then send it to Flickr.
- Check your Flickr account and you should see your newly uploaded photo.
- It’s worth the time to check out the settings and options for ShoZu. You can modify the default tags that are included when you upload without first editing, change the delivery methods etc.