How to run Greasemonkey scripts in Safari

If you’re a die-hard Safari user, you may want to check out one of Firefox’s best features – Greasemonkey. Using the free software SIMBL and GreaseKit, you can run most of the scripts created for Greasemonkey – in Safari. And Mailplane. And all WebKit apps. So now you can use the genius that is Folders4Gmail while using Safari.

1. First up – download SIMBL and install it (installation consists of clicking ‘next’ a bunch of times).
  2. Exit Safari if you’re using it.
  3. Next, download GreaseKit. To install it, drag the GreaseKit.bundle file to ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins

note: if you don’t have a SIMBL/Plugins/ folder, just create it, then drop GreaseKit.bundle into it.

4. GreaseKit

5. Now re-open Safari. You should see a GreaseKit entry in the Safari menu bar.
  6. GreaseKit

7. Head on over to http://userscripts.org and find a Greasemonkey script to try out. Again, I’ll recommend Folders4Gmail. When you find one you want to install, click the Install this script button.
  8. GreaseKit

9. You’ll see a bunch of javascript fill up your browser window, and a Safari dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the installation. Click Install.
  10. GreaseKit

11. Your GreaseKit menu will now include the installed script.
  12. GreaseKit

13. Check to make sure the script works in Safari by actually using it. In this case, I installed Folders4Gmail, and it works exactly as it should. Note: I installed 5 random Greasemonkey scripts using GreaseKit and all of them worked perfectly – if you find one that doesn’t, please feel free to leave a comment here.
  14. GreaseKit

• Blaze November 16, 2007, 11:10 am

I tried installing Colorful List View for Google Reader and Google Reader title unread count, and neither worked..

• Aseem Kishore November 26, 2007, 3:10 pm

I’ve also written a list of really useful Greasemonkey scripts that you can check out here:

Enjoy!

• Clif Rogers November 29, 2007, 8:54 pm

I tried to insatll Facebook Auto-Colorizer and It didnt work.

• Nino December 6, 2007, 4:42 am

To Install GreaseKit, I had drag to ~/Library/InputManagers/SIMBL.

• JH January 11, 2008, 6:21 am

I can’t seem to get this to work on Safari 3.0.4 while using Tiger.
    Could you please offer any insight? Thanks!

• downloads April 3, 2008, 1:01 pm

clicking the “install this script” button put the script into my downloads folder, so I dragged the .js file back into safari and it asked to install.

• Ross McKillop April 3, 2008, 1:13 pm

@downloads:

Thanks for the tip! It might have something to do w/ the new version of Safari (I didn’t have to do that when I installed, but that was a few versions ago). Thanks again!

• PeterVk May 11, 2008, 9:21 pm

Does anyone know a decent resource for learning to write GreaseKit scripts? Or a how-to to port Greasemonkey scripts for GreaseKit?

• Jo July 9, 2008, 2:02 am

Hi. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but the following script doesn’t seem to work:
    It’s meant to fix the width of an igoogle gadget
    I have installed Greasekit OK, in that I have the menu item in safari, and the script seems to be installed ok too (it has a tick next to it). But the gadget is still the same width

• Aseem Kishore July 18, 2008, 11:29 am

Hey man…nice explanation. I had written a post a while back on some of my favorite Greasemonkey scripts:

• Sandy August 25, 2008, 9:46 am

I dropped the GreaseKit.bundle under Macintosh HD’s library:application support: SIMBL:Plugins and nothing happened to Safari’s menu. I also clicked on the GreaseKit.bundle and a window pops up, saying: There’s no default application specified to open the document”GreaseKit.bundle”. I am stuck.

• Gregg September 18, 2008, 3:28 am

I installed SIMBL, but when I go to ~/Library/ApllicationSupport, there’s no /SIMBL dossier. Why ?

NB : I’m on a french version of Leopard, but should’nt change anything …

• Tom Markiewicz October 22, 2008, 1:25 pm

@Gregg try uninstalling SIMBL then reinstalling. That worked for me, but I know I had an older version…

• Neeti P November 10, 2008, 1:29 am

Hello, I am trying to install the Facebook Video script and it doesn’t seem to work. I think I properly installed Greasekit (it appears on my menu) but the option to download a video on facebook isn’t working. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? I got the script from userscript.org. Thanks.

• braedy November 10, 2008, 12:59 pm

IMDB Pirated Version does not work.
    I only get the javascript file. If I put in my GreaseKit directory
    ~/Library/Application Support/GreaseKit/
    it will show up in the script editor, but it doesn’t function.

any help/progression?

• Gahh! January 3, 2009, 8:10 pm
  • Ираида February 19, 2009, 3:52 pm

То что нужно, спасибо за статейкеу :)

• Seth Greenblatt February 26, 2009, 2:40 am

Have you looked at Safari 4, at all? I tried a few scripts and none of them worked. Thanks!

Seth

• Jason February 27, 2009, 10:42 am

I’ll second Seth on the non-working scripts in Safari 4

• Alan March 1, 2009, 9:05 am

Requesting Safari 4 compatibility.

• Steve March 16, 2009, 11:28 am

This was all working for me for quite a long time.

Then a few days go, GreaseKit stopped showing up in Safari and MailPlane.
    I had done an upgrade to Folders4Gmail a few days before that and everything was working great.

I don’t know what has changed to make it not work now. I’m using Safari 3.1.2

If anyone has a clue for me, that would be great!

Thanks in Advance!
    Steve

• Patrick May 1, 2009, 3:57 pm

I am using the new Safari and neither script works for me. I tried the folders for Gmail and a Gmail compactor. Oh well.

• Trejkaz May 24, 2009, 2:17 am

SIMBL crashed Safari (4) for me, even when I didn’t even have any scripts installed.

• Byren June 11, 2009, 11:08 am

safari version – 3.2.3 (5525.28.3)

script that does not function properly – http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/46848

• Mac June 14, 2009, 5:51 pm

I tried to use the script in this page
    but it doesn’t work.

By the way, I am using Safari 4.0 and Mac OS 10.4.11.

Thank you for your attention.

• Adam June 29, 2009, 7:20 pm

For all of those with some issues, it looks like GreaseKit left out a handful of Greasemonkey functions that several scripts rely on. If you install this script, most of your issues should be resolved, it atleast got everything I wanted running in Safari 4.0 release.

• Byren June 30, 2009, 9:05 am

thanks Adam…worked great!

i had also upgraded to: Version 4.0.1 (5530.18)

• Wolf July 15, 2009, 5:59 am

Google Account Multi-Login doesn’t seem to work

• sdf July 21, 2009, 10:13 am

svz-styles.de doesn’t work for my safari 4

• Abhay August 6, 2009, 7:11 pm

On Safari 4, ggkiller doesn’t work. Have tried installing the updated script provided by Adam above – no luck! :(

• pie August 15, 2009, 5:34 pm

i dot understand how to install SIMBL, can explain more…

• the_m-pire August 26, 2009, 2:38 am

GC-Vote doesn’t run :(

• podi September 20, 2009, 10:21 pm

I cant get the Craigslist image preview userscript to work. It never worked on Safari 3 or on 4. I even installed the script u mentioned a couple of posts above. Anyone else have luck with this?

• kellogs October 12, 2009, 8:37 pm

I cant get any script workin on safari 4 (snow leopard).
    Im starting to think the majority of scripts dont work with GreaseKit :(

• twofiist November 2, 2009, 6:37 pm

i have installed and it worked until i relaunched safari now it is no where to be found in the browser … the bundle is still in the proper folder.. i have tried launching in both 64 and 32 bit nothing..
    someone tell me whats going on please ..
    also what is the deal with source folder ? does it belong somewhere?

• James November 25, 2009, 11:12 am

How do I edit the Facebook Purity Script to allow Shuttle post? Everything else works just fine.

• stEndEc December 16, 2009, 6:51 am

eRepublik plus

is not working :-((((

• George January 15, 2010, 7:03 pm

I’m running safari 4.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.5 with Simbl 0.8.2 I installed Simbl with no problems, then I put the GreaseKit 1.7 into the plugins folder. When i restarted Safari, I do not see the GreaseKit button on the toolbar.

Any suggestions? Thanks

• Patrick January 24, 2010, 6:23 am

So how do I install SIMBL? I have a .pkg file and some other ones but no installer file. Definitely not asking me to click next a bunch of times. I can’t use this.

• Patrick January 24, 2010, 6:26 am

So other than the easy-breezy way mentioned in step #1, how else can I install SIMBL ? There is no clickenzie’n next-next happenin for me here.

• Paul Impola January 27, 2010, 1:21 am

GreaseKit still works in Snow Leopard, but the location of SIMBL has changed. In Snow Leopard, GKd should be installed at:
    /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/
    Note that it is in the root-level Library, NOT the one in your User folder (~/Library).

• ATKbane March 26, 2010, 6:39 pm

I can’t install the simbl on my pc… went i download it’s a zip file and inside there is not an installer,, sorry, my englis its bad

• Fara ochelari May 13, 2010, 7:48 am

it’s not working at me… i will retry

• Eleonora July 9, 2010, 6:48 am

non mi apre greasekit me lo apre con il terminale… installo smbl e tutto bene vado su greasekit e si apre una cartella che contiene due cartelle, una con scritto source e l’altra con scritto Greasekit.bundle, clicco su questa e c’è un’altra cartella con scrritto Contents, ci clicco sopra e mi appaiono altre due cartelle con scritto Resources e Mac OS, clicco su mac os e c’è un’applicazione chiamata greasekit solamente che è un quadratino nero con la scritta verde in alto a sinistra… non è molto che ho mac… dove ho sbagliato?

• sammy hayes July 21, 2010, 11:55 am

theres a new and better way to run greasemonkey scripts on Safari 5, it doesnt require the installation of SIMBL, its called NinjaKit, read more about it here: http://bit.ly/ninjakit

• Alan Boxley November 1, 2010, 5:28 pm

I have tried several times to GreaseMonkey with no success. I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. I downloaded Simbl for mac, turned off Safari, downloaded greasemonkey, etc, etc and nothing.

• Yves Brise February 22, 2011, 6:58 am

Can’t get UCheckPlay to run. It’s an admin tool for flickr. Other scripts run fine.

• Lia March 13, 2011, 3:56 pm

I keep getting this message:
    can someone please help?

• Claryssa April 21, 2011, 12:07 pm

What about those of us rare birds who are using Safari but don’t have a mac? Is there a way to install and use greasemonkey scripts?

• paige April 25, 2011, 4:07 am

I’ve tried several times, but the GreaseKit entry in Safari just never shows up. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks!

• dr.Unicorn June 16, 2011, 7:12 pm

It’s not working, The simbl folder didn’t show up. So, I created the folder and put GreaseKit in it. But GraseKit isn’t showing up in my toolbar. Help?

• maillet June 17, 2011, 3:28 am

bonjour j’ai fait l’installation c’est ok par contre j’ai essayé d’installer doa power tools et la ça marche pas ???

• val June 25, 2011, 1:53 pm

It’s not working for me.. I’m stuck at step 4. When I open safari, I don’t see “greasekit” anywhere. I made sure the folders were in the following order( as the directions had stated): Library/Application Support/SIMBL-09.9/Plugins/GreaseKit.bundle

help?

• Paul June 25, 2011, 3:50 pm

@val: Try renaming the folder “SIMBL-09.9” to just “SIMBL” (minus the quotes).

• guest July 7, 2011, 7:19 pm

In Safari 5.1 (in Lion) I can’t install any scripts. They just open as a text.

• John B. July 20, 2011, 12:15 am

Same here. Safari in Lion Dev GM, the scripts don’t save. Just get the text file.

• Jaclyn July 24, 2011, 2:51 am

I have successfully installed this WHOLE thing… and I would LOVE to create a NEW user script, but am saddened by the fact that it won’t let me create new ones… just instals ones other people have made… how do I get around this?

• Tim Allan July 27, 2011, 8:27 pm

I installed everything correctly but when I click “Install” on the UserScripts page the javascript shows up but no dialog comes saying install or anything.
    I’m left with a page of confusing text…

Please help… :)

• Cherrie August 9, 2011, 3:45 am

The simbl folder didn’t show up, so, I created the folder then the plugin folder and put GreaseKit in it. But GraseKit isn’t showing up in my toolbar. Can you help me please?

• Sarah August 9, 2011, 5:48 am

After I click install the script! The safari dialog box never comes up asking if I want to install.

• Vacman August 11, 2011, 11:11 am

• Brett Whistler September 25, 2011, 1:11 pm

I’ll just copy Vacman’s post as it says everything for me…”Same as above – installed just fine – I get the Greasekit menu. When I “Install” a script, I am not prompted for script installation confirmation – just see the script code itself. Am running Safari with Mac OSX 10.7″

• Ross McKillop September 25, 2011, 1:22 pm

Vacman Brett and all –

Yeah it seems at some point in Safari’s development, something in this process “broke”. I’ll investigate. I’m currently running the latest OS X along w/ the latest Safari. I’ll contact the dev and see if there are plans to update or if there’s a new workaround etc.

• Ben November 9, 2011, 5:23 am

I don’t see the greasekit in my tool bar

help?

• rmpbklyn December 21, 2011, 9:27 am

:-( same as above, the script text appears in window after clickin install.

• Hamid January 31, 2012, 8:34 am

Install button didn’t work for me on Safari 5.1.2 (7534.52.7).
    When I clicked on that button, the source of script was shown in my Safari.
    I saved it (Command+S) as Page Source and renamed it to it’s original name.
    Then I copied it in this folder :
    ~/Library/Application Support/GreaseKit
    and in Safari’s menu, in GreaseKit, I selected : Reload all user scripts.
    and it worked :)

• da March 20, 2013, 7:48 am

This is bullshit, doesnt work on mac

• Jpv April 20, 2013, 9:32 pm

doesnt work for me on Safari 6

• flor May 28, 2013, 5:56 pm

same for me don’t work safari 6

• Fred September 8, 2013, 7:41 am

This worked. Note, if you are struggling to find your Library folder, in Finder, hold down the Alt key, and click on Go in the menubar – this will show it in the list

• ka December 15, 2013, 3:23 pm

no dialog window opens.

• SP1L3R December 18, 2013, 1:15 pm

use Ninjakit it’s more simple and it works