This tutorial could be called “How to perform a hard reset on your BlackBerry Pearl”, but that would be a bit misleading. According to RIM, performing a “Master Reset” – which is what most people would call a hard reset, can only be accomplished by your mobile provider, and you should contact them.
This tutorial will show you how to wipe most of your BlackBerry Pearl clean. I say most because there were a couple of applications still present after I performed this process. Other people I’ve had try this process had their entire device wiped clean, so your results may vary. This may work on other non-Pearl BlackBerry devices as well, but I haven’t tested it. It’s also very important to mention this right up front: back up all of the data on your device before following these steps.
- Start out by selecting Options on your BlackBerry.
- Select Security Options
- Now select General Settings
- Click the Menu button on your BlackBerry () and select Wipe Handheld
- Carefully scroll down, and place a check in the box labeled Include third party applications. If you scroll quickly, you might miss this one.
- Now scroll further down, highlight the Continue button and give it a click.
- You’ll be prompted to type in the word “blackberry” before you can continue. Once you do, click the trackball again, and the wipe will begin.
- It only takes a few minutes, and your BlackBerry will restart after the wipe has completed. Once it boots up again, most (or all) of your applications will be gone, your address book cleared out etc.