How to keep your BlackBerry and Google Calendars in sync

This tutorial will guide you through installing, setting up and using Google Sync for your BlackBerry.

Though the screenshots and steps in this tutorial are specific to my BlackBerry Pearl 8120, I suspect – but am not certain – they would be nearly identical for other BlackBerry devices.

1. First up, head to the Google Sync for your BlackBerry phone page and enter your phone number in the space provided. You’ll get an SMS message from Google providing you with a download link. Or, just visit m.google.com/sync from your BlackBerry. Click the Download link. On your BlackBerry, you’ll be prompted to download Google Sync, this time click the Download button.
  2. It’s not a large file so the download should go pretty quickly.
  3. Once the download finishes and the installation begins, you’ll be asked if you wish to grant Google Sync Trusted Application Status. Click the Yes button.
  4. Once the installation has completed, return to your Applications screen. Navigate to the newly installed Google Sync and click it.
  5. Enter your Google Account information in the spaces provided, and click the Sign in button.
  6. Google Sync will now update your calendar list. This doesn’t take very long, but if you have a lot of Google calendar subscriptions, it can take a minute or two.
  7. Scroll down to the bottom of the introduction screen and click the Configure Sync button.
  8. Now you’ll need to set up the Google Sync Options. The first thing you’ll need to decide is if you want to Sync automatically, or manually. Scroll down to the Automatic/Manual option, click the trackball and make your selection.
  9. Google Sync not only allows you to sync your calendars, but you can sync your Google Contacts and BlackBerry contacts as well. I opted not to use this feature, but of course this decision is entirely up to you.
  10. In the Calendar section of the Options screen, decide how far in the future you want events synced. I opted for 16 weeks. From the Keep events for previous option, decide how long you want to keep previous events in your calendar.

Scroll further down to the Sync these Calendars: section and click on your calendar name (mine happens to be my full name).

11. I have two Google Calendars, one named “Ross McKillop” and the other named “Calendar” (yes, boring I know). I’ve opted to only sync the “Ross McKillop” Calendar. If you subscribe to public (or private) calendars, they’ll be listed in the Other Calendars section. Decide which, if any, of these calendars you want to sync as well. I chose to sync the Canadian Holidays calendar that I subscribe to, but not the Toronto Maple Leafs 2008/2009 schedule, as the Leafs missed the playoffs this year and there are no more games for them (aside from golf).
  12. Once you’re happy with all of the settings, click the Escape key (blackberry escape icon) on your BlackBerry and when the Changes Made! screen pops up, select Save. Alternately you can click the Menu button (blackberry menu icon) on your BlackBerry and select Save from that menu.
  13. Now you’ll be prompted to perform your first sync. Click Yes.
  14. The first sync might take longer than all future syncs, because it’s syncing all your events for the first time. And if you opted to sync your Contacts as well, it will sync them for the first time too.
  15. Once the process has completed, click the Dismiss button.
  16. The Last Successful Sync page will be displayed. My first sync showed 0KB used, but has since kept track of the usage. You can return to your main BlackBerry screen now.
  17. If your BlackBerry ‘home’ page is set to display your Calendar entries, you’ll now see the upcoming Google Calender events as well.
  18. That’s it – you’re done!
  • Adi Bonsu May 14, 2009, 2:44 am

I tried to download the Google Sync for Blackberry, but as soon as the progress bar hits 1/4 download, it would fail!

Is there a way to download this apps to PC then load it up to Blackberry using DM?

• Harvey September 5, 2009, 1:46 am

Is it possible for a team of 2 people, each with their own blackberries, to google sync to one google contact & calendar program? If so, please explain how?

• Kim Duran November 18, 2009, 10:30 am

Hi, I’m trying to sync my black berry to my google calendar. I’ve followed your steps 1 and 2, then my phone says must reboot to complete install. It then goes back to my main screen on the phone. I then went to the google sync icon and tried to sync now. but nothing happened.

• Lisa November 18, 2009, 2:21 pm

I’ve gone through all the steps but only 22 events upload – and those are the US holidays – nothing personal. Help! I’m in the process of upgrading to the new Motorola Droid and want to get all of my calendar information uploaded to google so I can download it to the Droid. Any suggestions???

• Guido Gabriele December 20, 2009, 5:09 pm

I would like to know if I can make changes on my Blackberry device that will over ride the Contact information entered into Gmail or is it the other way around? That is, which takes priority the device or the computer and is there a setting where I can make a choice?

Thank you.

• greg weaver December 28, 2009, 3:17 pm

my “other calenders” from the google calender does not show up on my blackberry list to choose from????

• steve January 6, 2010, 6:23 pm

so far so good. thank you VERY much for the step by step instructions!!

• Pam January 11, 2010, 12:54 pm

Thanks, that was a big help. The instructions were great. Very easy. The only thing it didn’t do was give me an option to sync a US calendar but I’ll work on that later.

• Chris February 12, 2010, 9:47 am

I’ve added 2 calendars to my other calendars list – Canadian Holidays and Montreal Canadiens. When I go to the google sync app, Canadian Holidays show up, but not the Montreal Canadiens calendar. Help?

• Nancy Shankman March 5, 2010, 12:55 pm

I deleted my google sync and now want to reinstall it. When I put in m.google.com/sync, it takes me to a page without a download link (or any link.) When I ask for a text message with a link to google sync, I get the same page. Help!

• Kimberly March 8, 2010, 8:26 pm

I am having the same issue as Nancy. I downloaded it but then my phone’s Operating System had to be reloaded and now when I try to download it again using the link they send in the text, I get nothing to click on after going to that link. Any suggestions?

• Julie May 23, 2010, 6:11 am

I have carried these steps out successfully, thank you, but I only want sync my Blackberry calendar events to my Google calendar. Not both ways. How do I do that please?

• Robindar October 12, 2010, 10:15 am

Hello. Will this sync work if I don’t have a blackberry plan that is through a regular edge connection. I am using a BB 8310 curve and can use the gmail app and opera mini without a plan.

• Michelle November 23, 2010, 10:05 am

did you ever figure this out? i’m getting the same thing!

• Dana April 8, 2011, 1:39 pm

I am not given the option to sync any calendar other than default calendar. How do i sync the others to my blackberry??