This tutorial will guide you all the way through installing themes – both “over the air” and manually, on your BlackBerry. Note: I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8120, so the screenshots and exact steps in this tutorial are using that model. However, I suspect they are nearly identical for most BlackBerrys.
First you’ll need to find a theme that you like. Two of the best places (or at least my favorites) are themes4bb.com and the crackberry themes forum. Once you’ve found a theme you want to install, look for an “OTA” or “Over The Air” link. That’s the easiest way to install a theme. But if there is no OTA link and just a link to download the theme, have no fear, we’ll walk you through that too.
Instructions for Installing BlackBerry Themes Over The Air
- Over the air installations (called OTA) allow you to point your BlackBerry browser to a file, and have it downloaded and installed directly from there. This is the easiest way to install themes and other BlackBerry software.
- In this example I’ll be installing the Custom Silver theme using the Over The Air method. Launch your BlackBerry browser and enter the URL http://themes4bb.com/upload/files/users/evancory/Silver/com_plazmic_theme_Silver.jad. Since that’s pretty long, and a lot to type, I’ve created a “shortened” version for you, which is http://tinyurl.com/dcxq22. They both take you to the same place (file).
- You’ll be prompted to download a file (com_plazmic_theme_Silver.jad). Click the Download button.
- Themes are generally not very large files, so the download won’t take very long.
- Once the download has completed, the installation should begin manually. If it doesn’t, click the Install button. Once it has successfully completed, click OK.
- Navigate to your Themes section (if you need help changing themes, see this tutorial) and select your newly installed theme.
- And now your newly installed theme is up and running, ready to go :)
Instructions for Installing BlackBerry Themes Manually
- Manually installing BlackBerry themes is a bit more involved than Over The Air installations. Generally these themes come in the form of a zip file, and you’ll need to download it to your PC. For this example I’m going to use a Vista BlackBerry Theme. Once downloaded, extract the zip file to somewhere on your hard drive that you’ll remember. I have a specific folder for BlackBerry themes, but anywhere will do.
- Now launch your BlackBerry Desktop Manager (and make sure your BlackBerry is connected to your PC). From the Main Menu select Application Loader
- From the Add / Remove Applications section, click the Start button.
- Click the Browse… button below the Device application selection list.
- Navigate to the folder you stored your theme file in, select it, and click Open.
- The BlackBerry Desktop Manager will now run a check on that file…
- and now it will be listed in the Device application selection list. Make sure that the check-box is checked, and that Install is the Action. Click the Next button.
- You’ll be presented with a Summary screen that will list your new theme as the ‘software’ to install on your BlackBerry. Click Finish.
- First the theme will load…
- and then the BlackBerry Desktop Manager will make the connection to your device, and install the theme.
- At this point you should have a successful update. You can return to the main menu and/or disconnect your BlackBerry.
- Navigate to the Themes section of your BlackBerry Options ((if you need help changing themes, see this tutorial) and select your newly installed theme.
- Exit out of the Theme Options, and your new theme will be up and running. That’s it!