This brief tutorial will guide you through the steps required to add PDF files to iBooks on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, using Dropbox.
Update: it has been pointed out to me that this method only works if you have an iPad – and that it does not work on an iPod Touch or iPhone.
One solution that may work for you if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch is to copy the link to the PDF from the Dropbox app, then paste it in Safari. At that point you’ll be prompted to open it, and you can select iBooks. This method won’t work if you’re running iOS 4 on your iPhone or iPod Touch until Dropbox updates the app to work with iOS 4. Thanks to kaushalmodi over at Lifehacker for the tip!
Another solution for folks using and iPhone or iPod Touch (including those using iOS 4) is to use Safari and navigate to the web version of your Dropbox account. From there, you can tap the PDF (in Safari) and it will prompt you to download and then open with iBooks.
Note: If you aren’t near the PC/Mac you use to sync your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch with, using Dropbox is a great way to get PDFs into iBooks. If you are near the PC/Mac that you use to sync your device with, this tutorial might be faster for you to get those PDFs onto your iPad (iPhone or iPod Touch).
Dropbox is a fantastic service that allows you to store files (2GB for free, or $9.99 per month / $99.00 per year for 50GB) online. It also syncs those files across all of the computers you own that have the Dropbox software installed, and, you can access all of your stored files via a web browser on any computer. For more info on the Dropbox service, see their overview or sign up here.
After you’ve signed up for Dropbox, you’ll need to install the Dropbox app on your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. It’s free, and can be found in the iTunes Store here.
- Lets get started. Add a PDF file (or several) to your Dropbox account. Once the PDF has been uploaded, open up the Dropbox app on your iPad (iPhone, iPod Touch…).
- Tap the “Dropbox” button in the very upper-left corner of the app. Navigate through your Dropbox folders to locate the PDF file that you want to add to iBooks. Select it by tapping it once.
- Depending on the size of the PDF (and your current Internet connection speed) it may take a while for the PDF to load.
- Once it has loaded, tap the “Open with” button on the very upper right corner of the Dropbox app.
- Select iBooks from whatever may be listed (will vary depending on which apps you have installed).
- Your PDF is now saved in iBooks and will be available for you to read any time you want :)