This short guide will explain how to remove the ads from Windows Live Messenger.
- Start out by downloading A-Patch. It’s a free, small utility which removes all types of advertisements from Windows Live Messenger.
- Once you have downloaded the A-patch for the version of Live Messenger installed on your PC, extract the contents of the ZIP file to somewhere on your PC. Doesn’t matter where – your Downloads folder will work just fine.
- Launch A-Patch. You can select to make backups before the patch is applied so in case if something goes wrong, you can restore the original files.
- On the Welcome screen, select Patch Messenger from the Choose an Option: section. Then click the … button (see screenshot below) and navigate to the folder that contains Windows Live Messenger. This is usually – but certainly not always – C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\
Click Next > to continue.
- Now you’ll be able to change a bunch of the Windows Live Messenger settings – remove advertisements, remove the What’s Hot Section (another form of ads) and several other messenger ‘tweaks’ which are pretty self-explanatory. Click the Apply button.
- You’ll be prompted with a message requesting that you make sure you’re patching a ‘clean’ (previously unpatched) version of Windows Live Messenger, and that Messenger should be currently closed. Click OK.
- A-Patch will now patch your messenger and apply all the settings which you selected. A final confirmation window will then appear asking you to restart messenger after which it will be advertisement free!