There’s definitely a lot of apps you can use on your iOS device to keep up with news headlines, and one of my favorites is the free app Pulse. Here we’ll take a look at installing it and how to use it.
For this tutorial we’ll take a look at using Pulse on the iPad and iPod Touch.
1. First search for Pulse, then download and install the app for iPhone & iPod Touch, or Pulse Reader for iPad through iTunes or directly from your device.
2. After you have it installed, tap on the Pulse icon to launch it.
3. By default it includes some popular sites from the web, but you can add other sites as well.
4. To find extra news feeds to add, tap on the gear icon to bring up the settings.
5.Now on the Manage Sources screen, you’ll see the current sources you’re subscribed to. To add more sites, tap the “+” icon.
6. Then you’ll get a list of featured sources that you can choose from and add to your feeds list.
7. Alternately, you can scroll to the bottom of your feeds menu and click on the “+” button at the bottom to get to the Featured Sources section.
8. Tap on Categories at the bottom to get a list of Sources to Browse.
9. For example this is the Technology Category, scroll through then tap on the “+” icon to add it to your feeds.
10. If you don’t see what you want or need, to add an individual site tap on Search and type in what you’re looking for.
11. Tap on G Reader and you can sign into your Google account and add your RSS feeds from Google Reader.
12. Then access your Google RSS feeds just like you would from your computer.
13. While you’re reading an article, you can pull up a bar to scroll through other articles you might want to read from the same site. Tap on the menu icon to go back to the main feeds page.
14. While the mini version for the iPhone or iPod Touch works very well, and is easy to keep up with your favorite news headlines, the iPad version is designed for it’s resolution. Of course you’ll have more screen real estate and it makes a lot of reading a more enjoyable experience.
15. On both versions there’s also the ability to share articles on Twitter, Facebook, Email, Instapaper, and more.
16. Tap on the icon in the upper right corner on the iPhone and iPod Touch version to share out articles.
If you’re looking for a way to keep up with your favorite news headlines and RSS feeds while on the go with your iOS device, Pulse News is a free app and works very well. If you use Pulse News, leave a comment and tell us about your experience.