Yesterday one of my roommates (Chris) finally got to meet one of his shero’s – Tori Amos. The pictures turned out great, but one of them came with the dreaded “red-eye”. This tutorial will walk you through the steps to remove red eye from your digital photos using the GIMP image editor.
- Launch GIMP and then open your photo. Select the rectangle tool.
- Draw a rectangle around the red eyes.
- Now select Filters -> Enhance -> Red Eye Removal…
- The Red Eye Removal tool will pop up. Use the Threshold scroll bar to adjust the eye color as you see fit. Click OK when you’re done.
- The changes will be applied to your photo.
- Use the Zoom feature if you need to remove red eyes from someone who also has red hair (or a wig) that’s getting in the way. You can even select one eye at a time.
- And the finished product –