You’ve checked to see if your ISP offers free Anti-Virus software, and found out that it doesn’t. No need to worry (or spend $), you can use the free edition of AVG Anti-Virus and this guide to make sure your PC is virus free…
- First things first, you’ll need to download AVG Anti-Virus and save it to your desktop
- Double click and start the install. Make sure to select Standard Installation
- Click Next until the installation has completed and you reach the First Run screen. Here you’ll want to select the Check for Updates button
- Click the Internet button to check for updates
- Because you’ve recently installed AVG, it’s likely that at least one update will be available. Click the Update button to download and install any updates that were found.
- Once this process has completed you’ll be presented with a confirmation window. Click OK to continue.
- Back at the First Run screen, click Next to continue
- If you’re fairly certain that your PC has been infected, with what you think might be a really bad virus, it’s a good idea to create the Rescue Disk. Otherwise it’s safe to skip this step.
- AVG will confirm that the E-mail Scanner has been turned on – click Next to continue
- And the moment you’ve been waiting for – select Scan computer!
- Now you can sit back and wait. Depending on a number of things (how fast your PC is, how big your hard drive is, how many files you have etc) the scan can take quite a while. Perhaps now would be a good time to make a cup of coffee.
During the scan a status window will display how many files have been scanned, if any viruses have been found etc.
- When the scan is done AVG will auto-heal any infected files
- You’ll be prompted to restart if any viruses were found. While a restart IS required, click No on this screen and finish the setup first.
- The summary screen provides info on the scan that was just completed. After reviewing, click Close to continue.
- Skip the registration and click Next to continue (you can always register later if you really want)
- Click Continue to finish the installation.
- After the installation has been completed you’ll be presented with the AVG Control Center. If you were prompted to reboot your computer after the first scan (see step #13 above) close down the Control Center and restart your PC now.
Keep AVG Anti-Virus up to date
The easiest way to make sure AVG is always up to date is to right-click its icon in your system tray and select Check for updates
If you’re always connected to the Internet, or will always be connected to the Internet when you check for updates, place a check in the box labeled Do not ask for the update source next time and then click the Internet button.
If any updates are found you’ll be prompted to install them now. Otherwise you’ll get a confirmation box letting you know that your AVG Anti-Virus is up to date.