This brief tutorial will show you how to disable (turn off) the system sounds in Windows XP. Because they’re annoying.
- Start by clicking Start and selecting the Control Panel
- If you’re using the Category view, you’ll be presented with a very similar screen as the one below. If you’re using the Classic view, please jump down to Step 4.
Select the Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices icon.
- Select Change the sound scheme and then skip down to Step 5
- If you’re using the Classic view of the Control Panel, double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices item
- Select the Sounds tab from the top (if it isn’t selected already) and then from the Sound scheme: drop down list, choose No Sounds
- If you’re prompted to save your previous sound scheme, click Yes
- Give it a name – it really doesn’t matter what. When you’re done, click OK, and then OK again. Ta-da! No more annoying Windows XP sounds!