How to disable the system sounds in Windows XP

This brief tutorial will show you how to disable (turn off) the system sounds in Windows XP. Because they’re annoying.

1. Start by clicking Start and selecting the Control Panel
  2. disable xp sounds

3. If you’re using the Category view, you’ll be presented with a very similar screen as the one below. If you’re using the Classic view, please jump down to Step 4.

Select the Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices icon.

4. disable xp sounds

5. Select Change the sound scheme and then skip down to Step 5
  6. disable xp sounds

7. If you’re using the Classic view of the Control Panel, double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices item
  8. disable xp sounds

9. Select the Sounds tab from the top (if it isn’t selected already) and then from the Sound scheme: drop down list, choose No Sounds
  10. disable xp sounds

11. If you’re prompted to save your previous sound scheme, click Yes
  12. disable xp sounds

13. Give it a name – it really doesn’t matter what. When you’re done, click OK, and then OK again. Ta-da! No more annoying Windows XP sounds!
  14. disable xp sounds

• adam December 8, 2006, 11:59 pm

I tried turning the sounds off with the above message, but now I get an annoying loud beep if I adjust the volume (rather than the “Windows XP Ding” that I was getting.) Is there a way to make that go away?

• Tom December 17, 2006, 5:50 am

I echo Adam’s situation, with the addition that every time an email comes in, I get that loud beep as well.

• Eric Belec February 12, 2007, 6:18 pm

If you go into the registry …

1.) Go to “Start–>Run” and type “Regedit” in the command prompt. Then hit OK.
    2.) Navigate to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound”
    3.) Right click on “Beep” on the right side of the screen and select “Modify”
    4.) Change the value in the box to “No”
    5.) Exit and reboot the computer.

This should fix that problem. email me at “ericbel_2@hotmail.com” and let me know if it works please.

• selva April 28, 2007, 7:08 am

Nice tut..
    Worked for me..
    Thanks a lot Eric.
    Also, Eric, the registry tweak was sweet..
    Now Only mp3 sounds emanate from my comp.. :)
    No more irritating windows critical stop and other damn noises..
    Thanks again!!

• Mind Power August 1, 2007, 1:29 am

Great tip! Noticed how the PC boots up, shuts down and generally does tasks faster without sounds.

By the way, does anyone know how to terminate unresponsive apps faster?

• priya August 30, 2007, 10:00 am

hi.. i tried doing the above.. but all in vain.. please suggest some other way to disable system sound

• Jim Stewart September 28, 2007, 1:24 am

Thx for the tut on “No Sounds”. Eliminated irritating beep that you get even though you’ve saved “no sounds” as a custom.

• sillygal October 9, 2007, 4:19 pm

i try all the method above and it still cannot solve my problem, any suggestion please.

• satya October 21, 2007, 9:44 am

hi….there is not voice recording in my windows xp pc…
    someone plz tell me how to enable it.
    i hav check all the settings are allright

• Accenture June 12, 2008, 4:18 am

Thanks Eric Belec

That has worked perfectly for me, and stopped the annoyance of beeping computers all around us at work.

Thanks for solving our problem, and taking away the headache.

• SURESH July 3, 2008, 6:25 am

EASIET WAY..

simply mute the PC Speaker (Volume–>Advanced)(5th screen shot of this article)

• Peter July 14, 2008, 10:19 pm

After some updates system sounds are enabled
    again. I am sick! How to disable system sounds definitely? Remove speaker?

• Thai July 18, 2008, 12:23 pm

Try this…
    Device manager –> View, check “show hidden devices”—> non-plug and play Drivers; right click “beep” and disable.. i think this may be little safer the messing with registry and is more permanent….hopefully.

Some other annoying Windows stuff in there to disable also…enjoy..and hope this works for ya.

• pat clausen October 8, 2008, 7:20 am

I did the “no sound”; applied; and saved twice; however, the sound continues. Perhaps I have to restart the computer and will do that. Thanks…PatC

• Gary Jensen February 28, 2009, 8:52 am

Eric,

I have no speaker icon on the tray, how do I get it back, and how do I turn the sound on? Thank you.

• Matt April 18, 2009, 2:54 pm

Originally, the “regedit” method didn’t work after simply changing the “beep” setting to “no”. I actually have no sound drivers on my comp, so that might have been the problem. That being said, I just went back and changed the other two settings under Sound to “no” as well. That solved the problem for me! Thanks to Eric for pointing me in the right direction!

• lucky April 21, 2009, 3:37 pm

hey thanks,
    the device manager -> non p&p -> beep -> stop driver
    did it !!

• IrishGypsy June 30, 2009, 5:11 am

Yes! Device Mgr solution worked – hope it stays that way!

Thanks Thai!

• vamshi August 28, 2009, 10:00 pm

• BLZR52 October 3, 2009, 1:26 pm

Thanks worked great

• Thunder November 20, 2009, 2:02 pm

heya!

I keep getting this very annoying CLICKING sound when I am refreshing, reloading webpages in IE8, Windows Vista 32-bit and would like to know if any would know how to turn that off without having to turning off new email, new contact notification?

• Eddie Thieda February 28, 2010, 2:59 pm

Even if you follow the above directions and you are still experiencing the “CLICK” noise when navigating through Windows Explorer then you may have to disable that sound manually by doing the following:

Start menu –> Control Panel –> Sounds and Audio Devices –> (Click on the “Sounds” tab) –> and manually scroll down the list box at the bottom and turn off all the sounds by setting them to “none” OR click the |> (play button( for each sound until you disable the one that was annoying you to begin with.

• Harper February 10, 2011, 2:30 pm

I’ve done this multiple times (have several “no sounds” schemes with varying names) which works *until* I reboot, then the sounds come back. I’ve saved the “no sounds” schemes probably ten times, but the machine resets itself after every reboot. Suggestions please?

• Vish February 17, 2011, 9:01 am

my ears thank you :)

• Ludwig October 25, 2011, 7:41 am
  • Mike Markey December 1, 2011, 12:53 pm

Thank you so much for making it simple getting that annoying beep to stop.

• Me Myself and I January 10, 2012, 9:37 pm

Since you were so kind as to provide me with the answer to end my Windows audio torment, I thought I should take the time to say, very sincerely, Thank You..

No more beeps, clicks, pops, cords, hums, etc. Just silent computing.

• Teresa February 24, 2012, 5:50 pm

Thanks Thai-At work computer notice almost everyone had no beep–tried the sound tips and nothing–other coworkers–so called experts said most likely administrative–etc,..they chose not to help–end result help desk came and further research the device manager was answer for my XP at work..will check again on Monday

• Guest September 13, 2012, 10:05 am