This brief tutorial will show you how to close (quit) any currently running Apps on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch (with instructions for iOS 8 and earlier versions).
If your iDevice is using a version of iOS lower than iOS7, click here for the instructions. If you’re using iOS 7 or 8, just keep reading :)
- Double-click the Home button on your iDevice (the physical button on the front of your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch).
- As illustrated in the screenshot below, the “App bar” will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Swipe from right to left (sideways) to locate the App you wish to close.
- When you’ve located the App you wish to close, swipe it “up” towards the top of your screen.
- The window will “scroll off” the screen – the App is now closed. You can continue to swipe back and forth horizontally to switch between and/or close other Apps.
- Start out by “double-clicking” the Home button on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. The Home button is the one at the bottom of your iDevice, as illustrated in the image below.
- This will bring up the ‘list’ of currently running Apps – by way of an “App bar” at the bottom of your screen. Tap and hold down on any one of the currently running Apps (even if it’s not the one you want to close).
- You’ll notice that each App will start to “wiggle” and now has a small “minus sign” circle in the upper left corner. Tap the “minus sign” of the App you want to close/quit.
- That App will now close. NOTE: This will close the App, not delete it. For instructions on how to delete an App from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, see this tutorial.
- You can continue tapping the “minus signs” to close all open Apps, if needed.
- That’s it!