Perhaps you prefer to use Ad-Aware and/or Spybot to keep your PC spyware-free. Perhaps you want to free up some system resources. Perhaps you just want to know how..
- Click the Start button (orb?), select All Programs, then Accessories and finally Run
- Type in msconfig and click OK
- Click Continue when Vista’s security warning appears
- Select the Startup tab and remove the check from the box labeled Windows Defender. Click OK.
- Restart your PC when prompted
- And from now on when Vista boots, Windows Defender will no longer run (use the Task Manager to check)
4 thoughts on “How to disable Windows Defender from starting when Vista boots”
Thanks so much. What an annoying problem!! How did it get on my computer and why is it so annoying? Who would buy a program that constanly harrasses you!. Anyway, thank so very much!
thanks for instruction…………………
THIS IS GREAT!!! i am finally able to keep windows defender from starting up. there is a conflict between Mcafee security suite and Defender in vista windows. i have been trying for days to find a way to keep defender from starting up. your info did it! THANK YOU!!!