How to use Banshee to manage your iPod in Ubuntu

This tutorial will guide you in installing, setting up and using Banshee to manage your iPod in Ubuntu. Though the steps to install Banshee are specific to Ubuntu (or any Linux distribution that uses the Synaptic Package Manager), the steps to actually use Banshee can be applied to any Linux distribution.

Note: if you aren’t using Ubuntu, visit the Banshee downloads page to obtain Banshee for your version of Linux.

1. Open the Synaptic Package Manager by selecting System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. You’ll need to enter your password for Synaptic to launch.
  2. synaptic package manager

3. Click the Search button from the top of Synaptic, enter banshee and click Search.
  4. banshee

5. Click the box next to the banshee entry and select Mark for installation.
  6. banshee

7. A window will appear asking you to confirm that you wish to install Banshee and the required packages associated with it. Click Mark to continue
  8. banshee

9. Click the Apply button.
  10. banshee

11. A Summary window will appear asking you to confirm yet again that you wish to download and install Banshee. Click Apply.
  12. banshee

13. The download and installation will being.
  14. banshee

15. When it’s done, click Close.
  16. banshee

17. Launch Banshee by selecting Applications -> Music & Video and then Banshee Music Player.
  18. banshee

19. The first time you run Banshee it will ask you to import you music library. Select Local Folder from the drop-down list and then click the Import Music Source button.
  20. banshee

21. Navigate to the folder you store your music in, select it and click Open.
  22. banshee

23. Banshee will launch and display your music library. Double-click a file to start playing it. One of the features of Banshee is that related info can be displayed (if you’re online) while a song is playing. Notice the lower panel in Banshee.
  24. banshee

25. Plug in your iPod if it isn’t already, and it should appear in the left column. High-light files you want to copy to your iPod, and drag them to the iPod entry.
  26. banshee

27. Select your iPod from the left column and confirm that the tracks you added are listed. Click the Synchronize iPod button.
  28. banshee

29. Review the info in the Synchronize iPod window and then click Save Manual Changes (unless you actually want to copy your entire music library to your iPod, in which case click Synchronize Library).
  30. banshee

31. The files will copy over.
  32. banshee

33. To eject your iPod, close down Banshee and right-click on the iPod icon on your desktop. Select Eject. You can now safely disconnect your iPod from your computer.
  34. banshee

• Frank April 26, 2008, 5:27 am

Nice tutorial, cheers – just what I was looking for. I was trying to drag and drop playlists into the iPod but it wasn’t working for me – a little bemused I have to select songs by hand…but it works quite nicely

What I would really like is a music player that creates playlists according to folder names in my music folder so that I don’t have to import music and all that hassle – any ideas? And when I create playlists on banshee importing songs and what have you is that creating copies of all the music files?

cheers!

• comet June 6, 2008, 5:02 pm

Please help….
    I have a nano 3rd generation that Banshee has made me change it’s software so it can configure with it…
    It changed my iPod’s software and now I can’t sync my songs with banshee… it will just say synchronizing and then stop after a few seconds…leaving my iPod with no songs at all, even though Banshee shows my iPod with all it’s songs with playback possible… my iPod only shows 3.6 gigs of ‘other’ which was really was the amount of songs I had before I configured my iPod with Banshee. please help!!!

I tried installing iTunes with Wine, and when I run iTunes, a message will appear saying:

“The software required for communicating with the iPod is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the iPod’s software.”

Which I already have installed iTunes a couple times with the same result… but I don’t even know if I can even uninstall iTunes because ‘uninstall wine software’ doesn’t show an option for iTunes-but for QuickTime and Apple software update, which only installs these software, not uninstall.

• schnauzer July 16, 2008, 9:21 pm

Newer iPods won’t sync with Banshee, as Apple was kind enough to break all non-itunes compatibility. However, the folks at gtkpod have fixed this problem. Try a “sudo apt-get install gtkpod” and see if you can transfer files to the ipod with it.

• godspeed July 27, 2008, 7:34 am

I have an iPod video, and Banshee seems to be able to add new files to it fine, but the iPod icon on the left bar is greyed out and at no point am I given the option to “save manual changes” or “synchronize library”. (I want to do the latter.) I also can’t seem to find a “synchronize iPod” button or menu option anywhere, Any advice?

• Chris August 2, 2008, 4:34 am

Thanks! gtkpod is the only thing that works properly on a nano 3rd gen…

• Chris August 2, 2008, 4:40 am

..but remember to eject the ipod in gtkpod first and in the file browser after (right click on ipod partition and ‘eject’). Also wait until the ‘OK to disconnect’ on your ipod disappears.

• Trey August 7, 2008, 9:16 am

Rhythmbox in Ubuntu supports iPod nano 3rd gen just fine.

• luis August 12, 2008, 8:39 pm

Try a “sudo apt-get install gtkpod” and see if you can transfer files to the ipod with it. <– Im an ametuear , waht does that mean and how do i do it?

• schnauzer August 13, 2008, 9:35 am

open up a terminal: Applications > Accessories > Terminal, and type “sudo apt-get install gtkpod”, without the quotes.

• luis August 13, 2008, 3:23 pm

I get a cannot unmount volume error and no music is on the ipod when i remove it from the file manager, can anyone help me with this?

• anonym August 17, 2008, 4:14 am

i dont have a synchronize ipod button…

i just cant figure out how to put files on my ipod

• Oni November 27, 2008, 8:19 pm

Oigan tengo un ipod classic y seguneste la compu lo lee esmas el sist lo lee pero banshee no lo esta leyendo. que creen que sea ayuda por favor

• FlightDreamz December 13, 2008, 6:10 pm

FYI: Your link to the Banshee’s download page is coming up error 404 site not found (as well as the Banshee Wiki main page). Good article though, very helpful.

• Ross McKillop December 13, 2008, 10:04 pm

Thanks FlightDreamz – link fixed :)

• john January 11, 2009, 1:00 pm

i have ubuntu and am using banshee to manage my music. when banshee is open and i plug my ipod in it shows up on my desktop but won’t show up within banshee. I have a nano, and i think its 1st or 2nd generation. I tried the “sudo…” command and it still isn’t showing up. anyone have any tips? thanks.

• Ashlyn Smith February 20, 2009, 8:02 am

When syncing to an Ipod, can you make it only sync the play lists and not your whole library? reason being is that my whole library won’t fit and I want to make sure my play lists fully transfer over before some random songs that I only listen to on occasion

• SACHIMO March 17, 2009, 7:04 pm

YO–COMET

THE SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME, JUST INSTALL GTKPOD, AND THEN IT RESTORES ALL UR SONGS AND EVERYTHING!!!

• Tony Yet July 20, 2009, 9:07 am

Hello, I’ve got a 3rd generation iPod Shuffle. While I tried having a sync between iPod and banshee, it rebuilt my iPod database. When I unplugged my iPod, it doesn’t play. Anyone got a solution for this?

• eonar December 31, 2009, 4:51 am

Wie lassen sich die Filmorder ändern,Banshee hat bei meinen ipod video alle Filme unter Musikvideos abgelegt….

• Anna January 24, 2010, 11:44 pm

I have an Ipod Touch. I did all the steps but when i plug it in it doesn’t show up that an ipod has been plugged in!?
    Now what do i do?

• peter March 3, 2010, 3:35 am

I am with Anna – the ipod will not appear in the left column so will not sync. It’s a Video Ipod 30GB and Ubuntu/Mint 8. Not a newbie.

• AN March 16, 2010, 9:07 pm

i have ubuntu and am using banshee to manage my music. when banshee is open and i plug my ipod in it shows up on my desktop but won’t show up within banshee. I have a nano, and i think its 1st or 2nd generation. I installed gtkpod and it still isn’t showing up. anyone have any tips? thanks.

• jamesgate April 4, 2010, 11:12 am

Same experience as Anna using brand new IPOD 160, Banshee can’t see it.

• Eric April 6, 2010, 7:22 am

I think the people who have iPod Shuffle, iPod Classic, and iPod Nano can check if their players are formatted to Windows format. For an iPod Touch, you need to jailbreak it before you can use it with Linux. That or you might be able to use iTunes through a virtual machine. There’s a document here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone for iPod Touch and iPhone

• Eric April 6, 2010, 7:25 am

Also, perhaps when Linux Mint 9 comes out in May there might be better support?

• Peter Jörsen May 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

i work with ubuntu and am using banshee to manage my music.

• Jan Muellers July 6, 2010, 12:51 pm

Ubunto is my favorite linux and i manage my music with banshee ;-)

• Seth September 4, 2010, 12:23 pm

Whenever I “Safely Remove” my 5th generation video iPod, it makes this horrifying “CHNK” noise, and acts like it crashed (it displays the apple symbol for like 20 seconds and then goes back to the menu). :( Any suggestions? Is this hurting my iPod?

• Eric September 4, 2010, 5:40 pm

@ Seth. Does this happen with other ipod managing software? I’ve been using gtkpod for my ipod touch because nothing else seems to work very well with ipod touch. That’s one of the things I don’t like about Linux. It is so hard to get peripherals working properly, but I guess that can’t be helped.

• anonymous November 13, 2010, 3:32 pm

I can’t get my ipod to show up in the left column. It’s a really old nano (ca 2005)… just switched to linux from windows (my dad did this, not me, and I am not at all computer savvy). I can play music from cds in banshee but I can’t get my itunes to cross over.

• bob burland January 10, 2011, 3:02 pm

support for 6th gen ipod nano?

• Jana July 25, 2011, 1:29 am

Banshee for Ubunto to manage music is very nice. I love both.

• Toma July 31, 2011, 6:34 pm

Thank you very much, it helped me a lot.

• Max September 5, 2011, 10:49 pm

i have a generation 5 nano and am syncing to banshee on mint. i successfully sync my ipod on it, however, when i disconnect, all i see on my ipod is a white screen with a checkmark that says ok to disconnect. do i need to format my ipod differently (currently FAT), or willit just not work with this newer generation ipod? thanks

• Emily October 6, 2011, 2:39 pm

I have tried to load a couple of new songs on my iPod Shuffle, I bought it in 2009. It starts to load, then I see something that says Synchronising iPod, then Preparing To Sychronise but nothing happens but an Orange dot moves about….It has charged ok and the library already on my iPod hasn’t been wiped…I am new to Ubuntu and right now not that happy.

• sam December 24, 2013, 2:55 pm

i have linux mint and i tried gtkpod with my ipod touch and it didnt work. it put the music on my ipod but i couldnt play them and could only see them when i opened file manager and looked for them.

• se7ensnakes November 9, 2015, 11:38 am

I purchase an IPOD Nano and sorry i did. While my other music players just simply drag and drop this Apple product has to be difficult. Right now Banshee keeps its fist close telling me i cannot copy and i cannot copy. Tried many things still I cannot copy. I have a more expensive hifiman re-400 that plays everything from MP3 to WAV files. It works easy. If you do buy a hifiman get the better ear phones.