5 Desktop Wallpapers that will increase your productivity

One often overlooked aspect of using your computer productively is the desktop. Instead of having a pretty picture of the beach, try using one of these wallpapers.

1. GTD

2. If you’re a fan of the GTD (Getting Things Done) methodology, this is the wallpaper for you. Grab it (or one of the others) from here.

3. Layered Desktop

4. Available in both light and dark, the Layered Desktop wallpapers allow you to group your icons by categories.

5. EZ Access Desktops

6. Though the colors may not suit your taste (there are 6 to choose from) – with a little work using your favorite image editing software (like the GIMP) and you can create your own.

7. Panels

8. Similar to the EZ Access Desktops, the panel method outlined here allows you to group icons according to category.

9. Google Calendar

10. Lifehacker explains how to use Google Calendar as your Desktop Wallpaper in Windows.

• Dana July 22, 2008, 10:23 am

Ohmygod I love this idea! So much better than the useless image I have now.

• David Bradley July 23, 2008, 1:50 am

Yeah, great ideas. I implemented this months ago and find it very useful for boosting productivity. It’s important if you’re using one of the panel type layouts to have an icon layout saver otherwise they can all get reset when you mess with screen settings in different applications, for instance.

• Rahsheen Porter July 24, 2008, 8:22 am

Definitely an awesome tweak I never thought about. I don’t store things on my desktop so the GTD flow-chart is great. In XP, I just hit Win+D to view the desktop and remind myself to get back to work :)

• sean808080 July 24, 2008, 8:27 am

great stuff…i’m sticking to my fancy graphics though.

• Ron July 26, 2008, 12:13 pm

… and here I thought I was the only one with this idea. I took it a step further.

I took some of those “pretty pictures” and Photoshopped them putting in grouping areas for icons. That way I get both, the pretty pic and organization.

I’ve done it to several pics, and occasionally will add.

• Loren July 27, 2008, 9:13 pm

I’ve never considered a background for anything other than looking cool.

• David Bradley August 19, 2008, 10:50 pm

What would be nice, would be to have a dynamic background that actually locked icons into specific labeled/colored areas with each panel resizing depending on how many icons it has to accommodate…or I guess I could just use Microsoft’s new program launcher and avoid the issue altogether.

• david tan December 12, 2008, 6:35 am

very interesting and useful

• Matthieu July 31, 2009, 8:22 am

Excellent ces 5 Wallpapers!

• CliffB April 26, 2010, 2:48 am
  • Vail Colorado December 31, 2010, 1:17 am

Great backgrounds, I will definitely try to improve my productivity