Force Firefox to open new tabs at the end

This tutorial will show you how to force Firefox to open new tabs at the end of the tab bar, rather than next to the existing open tab.

This new behavior (opening new tabs next to the current one) was introduced in Firefox 3.6. Some people like it, others done. If you fall into the “I want it back the way it was” camp – here’s how to change it.

1. In the Firefox address bar enter about:config and hit enter.
  2. about:config in firefox

3. If this is your first time editing the Firefox settings this way, you’ll get a warning messages. Just click the I’ll be careful, I promise! button.
  4. firefox about:config warning

5. In the Filter: bar, paste in the following: browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent

You should see a Preference Name titled browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent now listed (see screenshot below). Note that it’s value is set to true. Double-click on the word true.

6. about:config browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent displayed

7. It should change to false (as indicated in the screenshot below).
  8. about:config in firefox with browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent set to false

9. That’s it! Close this about:config tab, and now when you click on links to open them in new tabs, the tab will be all the way at the end of your tab bar.
  • Andy April 14, 2010, 6:07 am

Wow thanks so much! I’ve been annoyed by this (default?) behaviour since I switched to 3.6 of Firefox.

Regards from Germany.

• Sovello Hildebrand April 15, 2010, 12:08 am

I didn’t have enough time to check what is the entry in this version…. After all thanks for the good job

Cheers from Tanzania-UDSM

• Ross McKillop April 15, 2010, 12:23 am

Sovello –

I don’t recall if 3.5.9 was the last version I was using before I moved to 3.6, but I *believe* that this new tab ‘feature’ (opening them next to the existing tab) wasn’t ‘available’ until 3.6. Which means that the string wouldn’t be in 3.5.9 – since the feature wasn’t/isn’t either.

• Tab Police April 29, 2010, 3:43 pm

the entry browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent is not available in firefox 3.5.9. This sucks! Who was the genius that removed this feature?

• Neena May 9, 2010, 7:15 pm

Thank you Ross! I was going crazy with the change. Often, I work with a lot of tabs open – so when I open a link in a new one, it is easiest to find if it is at the end. What a relief!

• Amanda August 10, 2010, 9:26 am