This tutorial will guide you step by step through the process of adding YouTube videos to your Microsoft PowerPoint presentation files.
This process has changed a bit over time – and fortunately it’s easier now than ever before.
- Open the PowerPoint presentation that you want to put a YouTube video into and find the slide you want it to go on. After that, select Insert from the menu.
- Click the Video button in the toolbar and select Online Video… from the list of choices.
- It has been my experience that the built in ‘YouTube search’ doesn’t work very well, often not at all. Fortunately there’s an easy way around that problem – leave this window open, launch your web browser and head over to YouTube.
- Find the video you want to embed into your PowerPoint and just below the video itself (next to the “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” icons) you’ll see a Share button – click it.
- Click the Embed button found in the Share panel.
- Highlight all of the text by clicking on it once and then copy it to your clipboard by clicking the Copy button.
- Now go back to your PowerPoint window. Paste the text that you copied in the previous step into the From a Video Embed Code field and then hit Enter (or Return) on your keyboard.
- The video will appear as a little black box. You can resize it as you would any other element in PowerPoint.
- You can also add some styling to the video if you’d like – just right-click somewhere inside the video and select Style from the context menu.
- Choose one of the various styles and it will be applied to your video.
- You can also configure how the video plays in the slideshow – automatically when the slide opens or manually after it’s been clicked. Once again, right-click somewhere in the video but this time select Start and then either Automatically or On Click
- Preview your presentation and confirm that the YouTube video plays as expected etc. That’s it!