This quick guide will show you how to set up a VPN on your Android device running “Lollipop” (version 5.x)
Note: If you don’t have a VPN service yet, or you’re unhappy with your current one, I strongly recommend and endorse the VPN service provided by Private Internet Access, which works seamlessly with every version of Android. They even have an android App that configures everything for you.
The screenshots in this tutorial were taken on a tablet, so they will be slightly different than what you’ll see on a phone, but not so much that you will have any trouble following along.
Lollipop supports quite a few VPN protocols “out of the box” (no additional software is needed). Those protocols include PPTP and L2TP/IPSec – two of the most common VPN types. It doesn’t matter if you have no idea what any of that means, just make sure your VPN service supports one them (Private Internet Access supports them).
Let’s get started.
- Tap the Android Settings button.
- Scroll down to More connection settings and tap it.
- Now select VPN
- Tap ADD VPN
- Give your VPN connection a Name – anything will do, but something descriptive is always best. In the Server address field, enter the address to your VPN provider. Finally, click the ‘arrow’ at the end of the Type field.
- You’ll be presented with a list of VPN protocols available on your device. For the sake of this tutorial we’re going to use PPTP, but if you’re using another protocol, you should have no trouble following along.
- If you’re using something other than PPTP, several other fields will appear when you select that (other) protocol. Fill them in as per the instructions from your VPN provider. When you’re done, tap Save.
In your VPN list, you’ll now have your newly created VPN connection listed. Tap it.
- Right away you’ll be prompted for your username and password. Place a check in the box labelled Save account information if you want to store your username and password on your device (similarly to how you probably store your WiFi password). Since there’s a good possibility you’re using your VPN to increase your online security, it’s not a bad idea to leave this unchecked so that you are prompted to enter it each time. Once you make your decision, tap CONNECT.
- Once you’re connected, Android will let you know by setting your VPN status to Connected.
- That’s it! Each time you want to use your VPN service, just go back to the VPN section and tap your newly created connection.