How to Set Up Gmail in Windows 10

This guide will take you each step of the way through setting up your Gmail email address in the Windows 10 Mail app.

The process is actually quite straight forward, but we’ll make sure you get it right the first time :)

Unlike some other versions of Microsoft’s various email programs, Mail in Windows 10 does not require you to enable IMAP or POP within Gmail itself. You don’t even need to know what that means : ) Let’s get started!

1. Click the Windows 10 Start Button and select All apps
  2. Scroll down the list a bit, and in the M section, select Mail
  3. Welcome to the Welcome screen. Click Get started to, you guessed it, get started.
  4. Click/tap the + Add account button
  5. From the Choose an account screen, select Google
  6. The “Connecting to a service” window will appear, and display a Google login window. Enter your gmail address in the space provided, and then click Next

7. click to enlarge

8. Now enter your gmail (Google) password, and select Sign in

9. click to enlarge

10. Tap/click Allow

11. click to enlarge

12. Yep, that’s it. Click Done
  13. Back at the initial Mail window, there will be a new button labelled Ready to go – click it.
  14. Ta-da! Your Gmail is now is all set up in Window 10.

15. click to enlarge

16. You can access Mail the same way as you did in steps #1 and #2, or you can click the mail “Tile” and it will open your Gmail.
  17. Another option is to click-and-drag either the Mail ‘Tile” or the Mail entry in the All apps list, to your Desktop. That will create a shortcut on your Desktop that you can use to launch Mail, if that’s your preference.
  18. If you have any questions, by all means leave a comment.
  • Mike Bermingham September 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

Please let us know how to integrate all your email accounts under the one umbrella, so to speak? (for instance Eircom. net etc. using Outlook 2013)

• Ross McKillop September 12, 2015, 3:30 pm

Heya Mike – do you mean all accounts under one umbrella in “Mail” or in Outlook 2013? Since those are different Apps, it’s kind of a case of “pick one App or another, and put all your email in *that* place…” – make sense?

• Penny February 9, 2016, 11:32 pm

What if Google is not listed and yahoo is

• Claire March 30, 2016, 6:13 am

i have my e-mail accounts linked but they wont sync? How do I get it to regularly sync?

• detroit12870 March 30, 2016, 3:44 pm

Ross, I have achieved the steps but it doesn’t pull up “Mail” for the right click, send to function on a file e.g. default mail

• ed van Delft April 19, 2016, 5:55 am

Alas, the “”allow”” button is grayed ( well blued actually;) out. So it stops there. Windows 10 mobile RS builds.

• C Wathen April 24, 2016, 1:59 pm

This email was sent from Google when I attempted to add my gmail to Win10. Any work arounds? It said,

“Sign-in attempt prevented –
    Hi C,
    Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account t***7@gmail.com from an app that doesn’t meet modern security standards.”

• Emily August 9, 2016, 3:01 pm

I’m trying to connect my gmail account but every time I try to connect I get to the part where I accept the mail app to access the account then the page goes blank and it just reads connecting to service at the top. I’ve tried three different times and its still happening.

• Sauty October 18, 2016, 9:35 am

The procedure for making g mail in window 10 is seen. This make possible for all those to do so. The specified performance make possible in style for best possible action. The procedure is mention for better performance.

• Monely October 23, 2016, 2:05 am

• Sivaprasad Juluri November 23, 2016, 1:57 pm

When I sent the email from my gmail (after setting it up on MAIL app), the receiver sees my email id (xyz@gmail.com rather Name in the FROM column). How do I make my name displayed in receiver’s inbox please..?

• imrosed December 9, 2016, 12:29 am

Pretty frustrated with windows mail app. Randomly stops syncing my emails…reinstalled google once before and it worked…Now nothing…Even went back on Gmail and did the imap settings…

• Laura Shinn-warren Howell February 16, 2017, 1:52 pm

Is there a way I can get INBOX by google to open up as my mail client using the Windows 10 pins ? Instead of having it use my account and using their app?
    PLEASE like it us on my phone and tablet?

• Jennifer Gray November 9, 2017, 7:15 am

I want to add several gmail accounts to my windows mail?

• sue September 12, 2018, 10:31 am

I have the gmail account loaded but the inbox is saying ‘nothing has arrived yet. How do I receive emails into it.

• Judy October 2, 2018, 8:24 pm

I followed all these instructions (Windows 10) but I got an error code 0x800000000

• Judy October 2, 2018, 8:29 pm