This guide will take you step by step through the process of setting up the Thunderbird email client to work with your @comcast.net email address.
Note: The screenshots used in this tutorial are from a Mac, but the steps and images are nearly identical and you’ll have absolutely no trouble following along if you’re using Windows or Linux.
- Start up Thunderbird. You may be prompted to set Thunderbird as your default email App – if that happens, for now, select Skip Integration
- Right away you’ll be presented with the option to create a new email address. Since that’s not what we want to do, click the Skip this step and use my existing email button.
- At this point you should be prompted with a Mail Account Setup screen. If you are, perfect – you can skip this and the next step and jump down to step #5 below. If you don’t see a Mail Account Setup window have no fear. Click Tools from the main menu and then Account Settings from the drop-down list (Windows users: select Options and then Account Settings)
- In the bottom left corner of the window you’ll find an Account Actions menu. Click it and then select Add Mail Account… from the options.
- In the Mail Account Setup window enter your Name, your full @comcast.net email address and the password associated with that email account. Click Continue when you’re ready.
- Thunderbird will automatically get the settings for your account and apply them to the App.
- Once the settings have been successfully retrieved a ‘confirmation’ screen will appear. On that screen make sure that IMAP (remote folders) is selected, then click Done
- Ta-da! All done. Thunderbird will load all of your messages – which can take some time depending on how many there are. You can review the ‘welcome’ message from Thunderbird while they load.