One of the great new features of the 2.0 iPhone/iPod Touch software is the App Store. One of the great (free) things in the App Store, is Remote. This tutorial will guide you through downloading, installing, setting up and using Remote to control iTunes from your iPhone and/or iPod Touch.
- Head over to the Remote page, and click on the Download on iTunes now link.
- iTunes will launch (if it isn’t open already) and open the App Store section for Remote. Click the GET APP button.
- The App will download, and then you’ll be able to find it in your Applications section of iTunes.
- Now sync your iPod Touch/iPhone and the Remote application will install.
- Click Remote from your iPod Touch/iPhone springboard. Then select Add Library.
- Make note of the 4 digit passcode.
- Back in iTunes, select Your Name’s iPod (or iPhone) from the devices list. Note that you’re actually selecting the Remote item in your devices list (see screenshot below), not your actual iPod/iPhone.
Enter your 4 digit passcode in the space provided.
- Your iPhone or iPod Touch will recognize the iTunes library immediately, and now you can control iTunes using your device. NOTE: your iPhone/iPod Touch must be using WiFi connected to the same network as your Mac/PC with iTunes. This will not work if your iPhone is using 3G.
- Select a song, and iTunes will start playing it. On your iPod Touch/iPhone you can pause that song, skip to the next, increase the volume etc. It can now completely control iTunes.
- NOTE: If you have trouble getting Remote to work, please see the tutorial titled Troubleshooting Remote for the iPhone or iPod Touch.