This brief tutorial will guide you through formatting a USB thumb drive (also called USB flash drives). The exact same steps apply for formatting any removable drives/memory cards/non-primary hard drive partitions.
- Formatting a drive, of any kind, will wipe out all of the data on that drive. Make sure you’ve copied any files from your USB thumb drive to a different location before formatting.
- Plug in the device and open My Computer. Right-click the USB drive and select Format….
- Select the File System that best suits your needs, and give the drive a name in the Volume label field. Click Start to format the drive.
- Click OK on the warning window.
- Once the format has completed, click OK.
- And now your USB thumb drive will be wiped clean, with the new volume label (name) applied.