This tutorial will guide you through installing new Desktop Themes in Ubuntu Linux – and provide a couple of resources to find themes.
- First you’ll need to find some themes to download and try out. Techie Souls has a list of 50 of the best looking Ubuntu (Gnome) themes that you can peruse, complete with download links. And gnome-look.org is a great place to find even more themes.
- When you download themes, don’t uncompress them. Leave them as tar.gz files – just remember where you saved them. From the Ubuntu menu, select System -> Preferences -> Appearance.
- On the Appearance Preferences page, make sure that the Theme tab is selected. Then click the Install… button.
- Navigate to the theme file that you downloaded, select it, and click Open.
- The theme should now install. Click OK.
- Click the Apply New Theme button.
- And Ubuntu will now apply that theme, changing the look and style of Ubuntu.
- Repeat the above steps to try out other themes. That’s it!