Adding a 4 digit pin code to your iPad will help you keep it secure – especially if it’s lost or stolen. It would be bad enough to lose your iPad – but it would be much worse for the person who finds your iPad to be able to access your personal information (photos, notes, email, calendar etc). This brief tutorial will show you how to secure your iPad by requiring a pin-code to be entered before you can use it.
- Start out by selecting Settings from your home screen
- Select General from the left column of the Settings screen, and then Passcode Lock from the right column.
- Tap the Turn Passcode On button.
- You’ll be prompted to enter a 4 digit numerical pin, and then again for confirmation.
- If you want an extra level of security, you can turn Erase Data on. Warning: if you enable this feature, all of the data on your iPad will be completely wiped if the incorrect pin is entered 10 times in a row. By default, this setting is disabled.
- Now each time your iPad is turned on, you’ll have to enter the 4 digit pin in order to access any of your content.