How to change your Computer Name (or Workgroup) in Windows XP

If for whatever reason you need (or want) to change your computer name (or Workgroup), follow the instructions outlined below and you’ll be done in no time ..

Note: if you’re trying to figure out how to change your Computer Name in Windows 7, that tutorial can be found here.

1. Close all applications and ensure that you are logged in with Administrator privileges
  2. Click Start then select the Control Panel
  3. Click Performance And Maintenance
  4. Click System
  5. Click on the Computer Name tab. Here the current Computer Name and Workgroup are displayed
  6. To change the Computer Name or the Workgroup, click Change
  7. Enter a name for your computer in the Computer Name field
  8. Enter a name for your Workgroup in the Workgroup field
  9. Click OK
  10. If you changed your Workgroup name, a window will welcome you to the new Workgroup
  11. Click OK
  12. When a window prompts you to restart the computer, click OK
  • Kelly September 17, 2006, 6:19 am

I want to thank you for putting this kind of info out there. I’m just hoping to get better at finding what I need. Can’t seem to shake a remote hacker and I’d definitely like to send a jolt of something not-so-nice his direction.
    Sorry for the little fit there, but thanks again.
    K.D.S.

• Ross September 17, 2006, 4:28 pm

Kelly,

Glad to hear it helped (or I hope it did) – if you’re trying to keep someone “out” of your PC, check to see your ISP offers free security software – in particular, a firewall. If your ISP doesn’t offer free security software, try looking on dslreports.com for suggestions on other free or trial firewalls.

Hope this helps –

Ross

• William December 12, 2006, 2:32 pm

If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?
    Basically I dont see any advantages to using linux over windows xp, Im dual booting windows
    and ubuntu. Ubuntu is nice and all but I dont see anything that would make me prefer it
    over windows.The only thing i have been using ubuntu for is web browsing playing
    music/movies (cant play games) which I can do better/hassle free in windows.
    So what are the advantages of l using linux over xp?

• Brokeneye February 13, 2007, 8:41 pm

I just change my computer name and workgroup name, rebooted the machine, and now I am no longer able to logon. I’m using the same username and password as before and no luck. Any suggestions? I am not able to use my laptop at all now. PLEASE help!!!

• Stanly July 15, 2007, 10:17 pm

• switchskier September 8, 2007, 5:54 pm

wow Willam someone should take your keyboard away for asking such a question.. why would you use linux if you have windows xp… dude you better work for MS..

• mark lofokhai November 15, 2007, 1:20 am

any that can help?

• jozz December 5, 2007, 6:31 pm

hello,

does naming my comp. “ABC-jozz” with several others with comp. name such as “ABC-ann”, “ABC-eryn”, ABC-etc….

and being in a group of “ABC”

will create any conflicts?

I always get “duplicate name exist in the network” warning..

I’ve changed mine several times but the warning kept appearing.

any suggestions? how should i name a computer and naming a group properly?

• vageesa March 24, 2008, 12:51 am

i unnable to change mycomputer name that option is disabled tell solution

• Ajay April 12, 2008, 7:51 am

Changing the computer name and workgroup is disabled due to virus i think. But i dont want to format the system. is there any solution for this. Its urgent, pls help…….

• Ross McKillop April 12, 2008, 8:10 am

@Ajay:

Which version of Windows are you using? Are you certain that you have administrative privileges with the account you login to Windows with? I haven’t heard of a virus that stops you from changing the computer name and/or workgroup (which certainly doesn’t mean there isn’t one, but that seems like a fairly odd thing for a virus to do). Also, have you ran a virus check lately? There are some good free ones out there…

• ajay April 13, 2008, 12:32 am

Yes me only the administrator n i have all the privileges. i ran the antivirus scan also, with Macfee ver 8.5. but still not yet resolved.wht to do……

• Ross McKillop April 13, 2008, 1:09 am

@ajay:

ok cool – next question: at what step does it ‘fail’? Do you get an error message, and if so, what is it?

• Jordon April 26, 2008, 3:28 pm

I want to know how to change that system name once we put during installation.

• Win Kyaw Htet September 26, 2008, 3:37 am

Please help me!
    My Computer is not change Workgroup.
    Please support me.

• troy September 29, 2008, 4:38 am

an upgrade changed my computer name to the NETBIOS name it had before update the DNS name cannot be added to database because it has an underscore in it. because windows wont start i cant get to system properties so i cant get to the network ID tag. so i dont know what to do. i do know that the defaultconfig.for win xp DNS server allows host names with underscores. WIN_HOME

help!!!!

• beeba October 14, 2008, 2:51 pm

Thanks! This was really helpful!

• Hoshi December 28, 2008, 12:33 am

I wanna do just the opposite – I want to remove my computer name.

• eronce February 8, 2009, 2:49 pm

gratitu

• Michele March 11, 2009, 3:28 pm

When I try to change my computer’s name, it shows a period at the end of the name, and the system will not accept it. I tried to delete it, but it doesn’t go away. Any advice?

• Matheus April 14, 2009, 9:50 pm

eu nao consigo muda meu workgroup, por nao haver a seleção, eu formatei, tudo certo, mas nao deu de entra, pois o dominio nao foi encontrado, vi num forum que prescisa mudar o nome do pc e mudar o dominio, soh que nao da pra selecionar. eu executo o ‘sysdm.cpl’ e nao consigo nao tem como… me ajudem por favor !

• Aboagye May 7, 2009, 1:02 pm

when I try to change the computer name error message appears ‘ the following error occurred attempting to change the computer name. Access is denied.’
    Plesase help me solve this problem

• Dhirendra July 17, 2009, 1:37 am

Hi
    All, please i have a system that i just re-installed the operating system on it. but right now the workgroup editing box is not highlited so i can change the workgroup name.

Please give me right solution.

• colt December 15, 2009, 1:58 am

thanks i am looking for this info

• Renato Silva Araújo January 6, 2010, 1:30 pm

Muito obrigado, você não sabe o quanto me ajudou, de verdade. ^^

• naveed February 12, 2010, 5:42 pm

hi all i have the same problem like brokeneye, i changed my workgroup name and when i restarted i can not login. Help me to restore my system.
    thanks

• Prakash April 15, 2010, 11:32 am

Thanks for the informative information. Excellent.

• sandeep negi May 31, 2010, 10:22 am

i changed my computer name but now i want to recover my computer original name but how plz.. help

• sandeep negi May 31, 2010, 10:24 am

i have win xp sp2

• anton October 3, 2010, 6:58 am

Hey guys how to change your computer name every time it’s start ?

Best Regards

• Addis February 9, 2011, 2:39 am

• KING February 15, 2011, 8:19 am

YA THANKS

ITS WORKING

• Rajendra Verma April 11, 2011, 7:15 am

when i going to change our computer name i found followinf error.
    the following error eccoured attemting to change the computer name to *sd*
    access denide.
    what i want to do for solwed my problem

• Rolan June 8, 2011, 11:53 pm

a period is added to my name change

• Ramkannan July 25, 2011, 4:27 am

it was not change in my pc workgroup. so what ca n i do. i need change my work gruop but it can’t. pls reply

• Srinu January 4, 2012, 1:09 am

How to change a windows xp machine from work group to home group.

Thanks,
    Srinu

• madhu February 25, 2012, 5:04 am

sir i need help, i require to change workgroup in my system but its not highlighted in that dialog box

• Mr Shit July 26, 2012, 10:43 pm

burn your computer

• DevCardude February 1, 2014, 11:37 am

Home Group and Work Group are 2 different things. Home Group is a feature on windows 7 and up. Work Groups have been arround for a while.

• lhubbard February 6, 2015, 7:14 pm

I got a new laptop and instead off it looking for my home computer it finds my son’s computer, how can I change this?