If you’re moving from XP to Windows 7 because you received a new computer over the holidays, one thing you might want to do is change the computer name. Here we show you how to get it done in Windows 7.
1. To change the computer name, open the Start Menu and right-click on computer and click on Properties.
2. Alternately, you can right-click on the Computer icon on your Desktop if you have it showing and click Properties.
3. Then click on the Advanced system settings link in the left panel.
4. In the System Properties window click on the Computer Name tab, then the Change button. Notice in this window you can also enter in a computer description if you want as well.
5. Clear whatever is in the Computer name field and type in whatever you want to change the computer name to and click OK.
6. A restart is required to apply the changes. You’ll get one dialog advising you of this, and another to actually restart your system.
7. When you come back from the restart and log in, right-click on Computer and you’ll see the new name you changed the PC too.
That is all there is to it! If you need to change the computer name in Windows 7 for any reason…this should help you get it done. If you’re still an XP user check out our article on how to change the computer name in XP.