If you live in Canada, you know how outrageous even the ‘lowest’ mobile monthly plans cost. One way to get around the price gouging is to get a Wi-Fi enabled Skype supported phone, and make calls with Skype.
The steps and screenshots in this tutorial are specific for a Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone. With that said, they’re probably pretty similar for Windows Mobile 6, and even the Pocket PC version (though I can’t confirm PPC).
Before you get too far into this, there are a few things you should know up front.
Download Skype for Mobile from: https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/skype-for-mobile/
If your phone supports directly installing .cab files, you can skip ActiveSync entirely. Look for the You can also download the .cab file (for advanced users only) link, and download the .cab file directly to your mobile phone.
- Once Skype has installed, launch it from your Today screen.
- Give it a moment..
- and click Accept to continue.
- Review the info provided on the Important notice section, and click OK.
- Enter your Skype Name and Password in the spaces provided. Check Sign in automatically on start if you want to sign in to Skype automatically each time you launch it. Click Sign in to continue.
- Unless you have an unlimited 3G or EDGE data plan, you will almost certainly want to select Use WiFi only as the Connection Method. Click OK to finish.
- Skype will now connect and sign in.
- Select the Skype Test Call entry and click Call. Make sure that your headset is plugged in.
- Follow the instructions (just talk into the mic when told, and then listen for yourself).
- After a successful test call, click Hang up.
- And your Skype status is displayed on your Today screen.
- Now give it a test with someone on your contact list. As long as you have access to a free wireless network, you can use Skype to make all of your calls. Give your mobile provider a shout and tell them you want to downgrade to the lowest possible plan per month, and save on your phone calls.
4 thoughts on “How to setup and use Skype on your Windows Mobile Smartphone”
wow thanks for all your help!!! Guys!@!!
thanks musch because if i didnt have you guys help my windows 7 phone would be jacked up!!!
je vous adore
Thanks for the tutorial. Very concise and to the point.