This guide will take you step by step through the process of setting up your Mac so that you can play MAME ROMs (games) on it.
Today I stumbled across an old CD I have full of MAME ROMs. I thought I’d see if you could play them in macOS, and sure enough it’s actually quite straight forward.
Here’s how you can play MAME ROMs on your Mac –
- To get started, download OpenEmu. Open the .zip file and drag the App to your Applications folder to install it. Instead of double-clicking the App to open it, locate OpenEmu in your Applications list, hold down the Control key on your keyboard and then click OpenEmu. Select Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open when prompted.
- If you’re using the latest version of macOS, you’ll need to grant the App keystroke permission. Click the Open System Preferences button.
- Make sure there’s a check in the box next to OpenEmu and then close the Security & Privacy panel.
- Click Next on the first screen of the ‘installation wizard’.
- Unless you have a good reason, leave all of the items on the System Cores Installation window checked and then click the Next button.
- Finally, click the Go button to start using OpenEmu.
- Open a Finder window and locate your .ROM files. Select them all and then ‘drag and drop’ them into the Drag & Drop Games Here section of OpenEmu.
- Before you jump into a game, let’s configure your keyboard controls/gamepad. Open the Preferences by selecting OpenEmu from the Apple Menu Bar and then Preferences… from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Control button from the navigation panel towards the top of the OpenEmu screen. Select one of the gaming systems you’re going to be using from the first drop-down menu. As you can see in the screenshot below, I selected Nintendo (NES). Now you can select the keys you want to represent the buttons on the NES controller. Once you’ve configured your keyboard/controller, close the Preferences window.
- Now scroll down towards the bottom of the panel on the left side of OpenEmu and choose All Games from the list of gaming systems.
- To launch a game, just double-click its thumbnail.
- Ta-da! Jump in and play :)
- Should you need to quickly reconfigure your keyboard or controller, just select the ‘cog’ from the floating window at the bottom of the OpenEmu app and then Edit Game Controls from that menu.
- That’s it – now you can play all sorts of MAME games on your Mac.