This brief tutorial will show you how to delete Apps from your iPhone, iPad and/or iPod Touch.
So you’ve downloaded an App from the App Store and have now discovered you don’t really want or need it. You’ve got two choices. You can delete it and all of its files and settings, or you can delete it and leave those files and settings in case you decide to install it again later (which Apple calls “offloading”). Typically, those files and settings don’t take up much space on your device, especially compared to the App itself. We’ll cover both scenarios.
Delete the App and its files and settings
- On your Home screen, locate the App you want to delete. Tap on it and hold your finger down until a menu pops up. Select Remove App from that menu.
- Tap Delete App
- Now tap Delete
- Of course you can re-install this App again if you want, but none of your previous settings will be saved.
Delete the App but keep its files and settings (offloading)
- Tap the Settings button then scroll down and select the General section.
- Select iPhone Storage from the list of options.
- This screen has a graph at the top that shows you how the storage on your device is being used, and then a list of all the Apps on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Scroll down to the App you want to “offload” and select it.
- Here you can see how big the App is and how big its files and settings are. By offloading the App, those files and settings will remain but the App itself will be deleted. That means if you decide you want to use the App again in the future, you can reinstall it from the App Store and all of the files and settings from the last time you used it will be imported – which means you can continue using it as if it was never uninstalled. Tap the Offload App button if that’s what you wish to do.
- Tap Offload App again when the confirmation message appears.
- Now the App is gone, but its files and settings are still there. You can tell an App has been offloaded by the small ‘cloud’ icon in front of its name.
- The App icon will still remain on your Home screen or App Library, but it will have that same small ‘cloud’ icon in front of its name. If you tap the icon it will download itself from the App Store again and then open up.
- That’s it! Now you know how to delete and offload Apps from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
For more tips and tricks, be sure to check out our iPhone or iPad sections :)
22 thoughts on “How to Delete Apps from an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch”
Thank you Ross!!!
Yea that worked thank u
Worked well. Thank you for sharing.
Gr8. Worked we’ll.
Worked great thank you. Had problems with the game Wordly. Fun game, but they messaged me at 4am waking me up. Then left messages all through the day, the most annoying app ever.
So easy, all deleted. Thanks!
This was incredible, new phone and all, I was so confused, this was a great help. Thank you!
Very clear and helpful instructions
Thank-you ever so much this was so simple grascias senior
thank you , thank you!!!!!!
This was so helpful. I use an apple lapto but this is my first iPod so thank you for this simple tutorial. Very well written
Thank you so very much. I had no idea how to do it and it was eating at me for weeks now. You’re a lifesaver.
It’s amazing what you can find with a simple Google search. Your instructions are very well written and I was able to free up some much-needed space on my iPhone. Thanks so much!
Thanks, very helpful…
thx soooooooo much u saved me
very helpful! :D
thanks! this was super helpfull
Than for clear and precise instructions that work.
Thank you!!! I just could not figure out how to do this and it was soooo simple!!!
Thanks for the help! Very useful.