This tutorial will guide you through the steps required to install and setup Netbook Remix on your Eee PC. Netbook Remix is an alternate interface of the standard Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. It’s an interface that allows you to work more easily on a smaller screen devices (such as the Asus Eee PC).
- Yes, you will need to install Ubuntu on your Eee PC first.
- Once Ubuntu is installed, open a Terminal (select Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and issue the following 3 commands, one at a time:
wget URL DOESNT EXIST NOW
chmod +x netbook-install.sh
After entering the last command (sudo ./netbook-install.sh) you’ll be prompted to enter your password. You’ll also be asked to confirm several of the installations by hitting the y key on your keyboard.
- If everything went fine (no errors), delete the bottom panel on your Ubuntu desktop. To do so, right-click it and select Delete This Panel.
- Open your Appearance Preferences by selecting System -> Preferences -> Appearance. From the Theme tab, select Human-Netbook.
- Click the Visual Effects tab and select None. Exit out of the Appearance Preferences by clicking the Close button.
- Now we’ll add maximus to the startup programs by selecting System -> Preferences -> Sessions. Make sure the Startup Programs tab is selected, and click the Add button. In the Name: field enter maximus. In the Command: tab, enter /usr/bin/maximus. You can add an entry to the Comment: field (like “maximus for Netbook Remix”) but it’s not mandatory. Click OK and then Close to exit the Sessions Preferences.
- The final step is to create a new “top” panel. Right-click on the existing one, and select New Panel. It will appear on the bottom of your desktop by default. Right-click the new one and select Add to Panel…. Add the following items to the panel: Go Home, Window Picker, Notification Area and Clock. You can add more items later, depending on your needs.
Now click and drag your new panel from the bottom of the screen to the top. Right-click the “old” top panel and select Delete This Panel.
- You’re done. Close any open programs, and click Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart Gnome (the default desktop environment for Ubuntu). Log back in, and the Netbook Remix desktop will your new desktop interface.
- If you want to make things “blend” even more, go back to the Appearance Preferences and make your desktop background (wallpaper) solid black.