This tutorial will show you how to hide .rar files within .jpg (image) files – so that anyone who opens the picture would never know there was another file hidden within it.
This isn’t really a very secure way to ‘hide’ files, it’s really more for fun – if you really want to protect your data, you’ll want to use something like VeraCrypt. With that said, here’s how you can hide a .rar file inside of an image.
- Select the RAR file that you want to hide. For this example the file I want to hide is called files.rar and the picture I’m going to hide it in is called warren.jpg. Copy both the files into the same folder.
- Then open the command prompt by selecting Start -> Run -> in the space provided enter cmd and click OK.
- Navigate to the the folder that you stored the files in. I kept them in the Downloads folder found within my My Documents folder, so I issued the commands cd “My Documents” and then cd Downloads. Now type the following command: copy /b warren.jpg + files.rar warren2.jpg Remember – replace warren.jpg, files.rar and warren2.jpg with the names of your files.
- This will embed the archive, thus hiding it. You can open warren2.jpg with a picture viewer and there will be no indication that there’s a .rar file hidden within it.
- To open the hidden archive (.rar file), simply open warren2.jpg (your picture) with WinRAR, or the RAR decompression utility of your choice.
- NOTE: you may need to select All Files when opening your picture file with WinRAR, otherwise it won’t be listed in the directory view.
- Now you can extract the “hidden” files from your “hidden” RAR file.
- That’s it! If you need to update the contents of the hidden rar file, make sure to ‘combine’ it with the original image when you’re done – not the one you’ve already put embedded a rar file into.