How to install CyanogenMod 4.1.99 on your G1 Android Phone

This tutorial will take you every step of the way through installing CyanogenMod 4.1.99 on your G1 phone – the first “legal” version of CyanogenMod (after Google sent cyanogen a cease and desist).

The steps outlined in this tutorial were gathered from the official announcement of 4.1.99 on the xda-developers forum. For more information on 4.1.99, see this thread.

Warning: though unlikely, it probably technically possible that following the steps outlined in this tutorial may result in your phone no longer working. Not following these steps in the right order, would increase those chances. With all of that said, it’s very unlikely that anything bad will happen.

See the link at the end of this tutorial, once you’ve completed it, to upgrade to CyanogenMod 4.1.999.

1. Start out by making sure that you have Cyanogen Recovery 1.4 installed on your G1. If you do not, follow steps 6-20 in this tutorial.
  2. Download the file signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip (the Recovery image, not the Radio or System image) from the Android Developer Center. Then download the file update-cm-4.1.99-signed.zip (mirror). Copy both files to your Android’s SD card. Note: I copied them to my phone in OS X (as illustrated below) – you can use Windows or an Android FTP client – it doesn’t matter. As long as they’re copied to the root of your SD card, you’ll be fine.
  3. Now power off your phone. Hold down the Home button when powering it back on, so that you enter recovery mode. Select nandroid v2.2 backup and click your trackball.
  4. This will perform a backup, just in case it’s needed.
  5. Once the backup has completed, select apple any zip from sd and click the trackball.
  6. Select signed-dream_devphone_us… and again, click the trackball.
  7. You’ll be notified that you’re going to install a new image. Click the Home button on your device to confirm this action.
  8. The new image will now install.
  9. Once the installation process has completed, you’ll be taken back to the recovery screen. DO NOT reboot your device at this point. Instead, once again select apply any zip from sd.
  10. This time, select update-cm-4.1.99-signed and click the trackball.
  11. As with the previous image installation, click the Home button on your phone to confirm.
  12. This will install CyanogenMod 4.1.99 on your phone.
  13. Once that installation has finished, you’ll be presented with the recovery mode screen, again. This time, select go to console.
  14. Click the enter key on your keyboard
  15. You should now be presented with a command prompt. At the prompt, enter fix_permissions and click the enter key on your keyboard.
  16. A bunch of text will fly by. You might notice that some of the text says No such file or directory. This is normal, depending on how your phone was previously set up.
  17. Once you’re back at a prompt (the text has stopped scrolling) – type the word reboot and click the enter key on your keyboard. Your phone will now restart.
  18. Your providers ‘boot’ screen (in my case T-Mobile) might be displayed for slightly longer than normal. Don’t worry. Eventually the CyanogenMod Android logo will appear – and it too may be displayed for longer than normal. Again, don’t worry.
  19. Once your phone finishes starting up, select Settings from your Applications, and then About phone from the Settings list. In the Mod version section it should say CyanogenMod-4.1.99. That confirms that you’ve successfully installed CyanogenMod 4.1.99. Congratulations! You now have a completely legal modded G1.
  20. Launch some of the apps on your device. Confirm that the proprietary programs like Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps etc all work. If you experience any issues, try asking for help on this thread at the xda-developers forum. Be sure to include as much and as specific information as possible in order to receive a timely reply.
  21. Once you’ve finished upgrading to 4.1.99, you can upgrade to version 4.1.999 by following this tutorial. The process is much faster (fewer steps) – but again, you must have completed the steps in this tutorial first.
  • rialsi6 October 4, 2009, 8:33 pm

what if you dont have a mt3g and dont have a key board to enter permissions in the console.

• Ross McKillop October 4, 2009, 8:38 pm

rials6 –

I suspect you could do it via the Terminal app, but because I don’t have a MT3G, I can’t confirm that. This tutorial is specifically for the G1, because that’s the Android phone I have.

If I had to guess – and it would be just a guess – you can probably get away without running fix_permissions before you reboot, as long as you do it (via Terminal) RIGHT after you boot into 4.1.99 the first time. And reboot again after you run it.

• Andrés October 4, 2009, 9:10 pm

You can use the keyboard in the MT3G console by long-pressing the Menu button.

• lb9819 October 4, 2009, 9:19 pm

just outta curiosity, why are some recommending a wipe and some not? Lot’s of issues on xda with some peeps. I do lots of reading before i do anything new on my phone & it’s hard to follow what to do sometimes because ask 5 different people & you’re likely to get 5 different answers!

• Ross McKillop October 4, 2009, 9:43 pm

Andrés,

Thanks! rialsi6 – with the info that Andrés has provided, I would now change my suggestion to running fix_permissions before rebooting at all, using the long-press Menu to bring up the keyboard.

lb9819,

I can only guess at this one. Not running fix_permissions after installing 4.1.99 may cause problems that require a wipe. It also seems some people just prematurely wiped without even trying fix_permissions, or wiped simply because they didn’t care about having to reinstall apps. All I can say for certain is that the steps I outlined above are exactly what I did with my G1, and everything is running perfectly. Gmail, Calendar, YouTube, Market – everything. Nothing needed to be replaced, no apps were removed or needed to be re-installed.

• lb9819 October 4, 2009, 9:59 pm

lucky you! I need to do a wipe appearently. Nothing google is working for me. otherwise this seems faster that his last stuff. Can’t wait for a update!

• zhect October 4, 2009, 11:54 pm

ive been trying this for a while on my g1. i am coming from cm4.0.4 and everytime i try to run the recovery img i get an “installation abort” mesege. im thinking this is because i havent fixed my permissions. me being a noob must ask, how can i do that?

• Ross McKillop October 5, 2009, 12:00 am

zhect,

Did you download the file: signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip – exactly that one? Not the radio image, not the system image – the recovery image for 1.6?

• Android Rules October 5, 2009, 12:03 am

Thank you! 40 pages on xda and this tutorial worked perfectly the first time!

• zhect October 5, 2009, 12:16 am

yea i believe i dl that one. ima try again just in case. but now i also lost the cyanogen recovery and have the htc with a diamond.

• zhect October 5, 2009, 1:05 am

well turns out i had the wrong recovery image so i downloaded the cm recovery1.4 and flashed it using the terminal and then i just followed youre steps and i got it right. thanks for the help! really appreciate it.

• mdmadph October 5, 2009, 6:54 am

Thank you for making this great tutorial! Cyanogen should’ve worked with you, and included this in his official thread at xda-developers — probably wouldn’t have had _half_ the problems that he’s been complaining about lately.

Not that I blame him, of course, but you have to admit that even for someone technically minded, the “instructions” on xda-developers can be a goddamed mess.

• Ian October 5, 2009, 7:43 am

Ross & Andrés:

The soft keyboard on the myTouch / Magic is *not* available on the console in the system recovery loader. It’s only available once you’ve booted into Android, so owners of this device would be unable to run fix_permissions until *after* a reboot.

Has anyone tried it this way yet?

• Chris October 5, 2009, 7:52 am

Whoa… no wiping is mentioned in the guide. Before everyone who follows this guide spams xda if they have strange problems , they should WIPE their device before they apply the CM 4.1.99 update. You’ll lose your data and installed apps!

• Jeremy October 5, 2009, 7:56 am

I do have CM recovery 1.4 and I am getting the can’t open error when I try to flash the ADP image, I check and I am using recovery one.

• Deek October 5, 2009, 8:06 am

Any issues with rogers G1? (already modded with 4.1.11)

• Ross McKillop October 5, 2009, 8:19 am

Chris – correct. I don’t know why so many people immediately suggest wiping. I would use that only as a “something didn’t work” last resort. There’s no need to wipe, unless you run into problems. Some folks have mentioned that their Google Apps didn’t run until after they did the wipe. Mine do, perfectly fine, without the wipe. But, I don’t know if those folks followed the steps I did, or tried it another way.

Jeremy – G1?

Deek – you’d have to wait and see if a Rogers customer can comment (I don’t have Rogers) – but if you can mod to 4.1.11 I see no reason why not. But again, because I’m not a Rogers customer, I can’t say for 100% certain (tho I’m 99% certain).

• Jeremy October 5, 2009, 8:22 am

Yes it is a G1.

• Ross McKillop October 5, 2009, 8:25 am

Jeremy – just to confirm – it’s on the root of your SD card? And how did you get it there? My guess is that it’s a corrupt image file, so perhaps deleting it, re-downloading it, and using another method to put it on your SD card would be the first thing to try.

• Jeremy October 5, 2009, 8:29 am

It is on the root, and I transfered to SD via usb cable. I have DL’ed it three times now and still no go

• Confused October 5, 2009, 9:14 am

I can’t get the recovery flasher to work. I get the error “backup failed”. Is this because I already have donut?

• Ross McKillop October 5, 2009, 9:19 am

Jeremy – at this point I’m honestly not sure what the problem might be. Are you coming from a previous version of CyanogenMod or an unmodded phone?

Confused – it shouldn’t matter that you already have Donut. Do you have the recovery flasher installed, and it won’t update the HTC image, or it flat out won’t install (the Recovery Flasher itself)?

• Confused October 5, 2009, 9:27 am

The recovery flasher is installed and i have 400+ megs free on my sd card but when I press the Backup Recovery Image button I get the error “Backup FAILED”

• Jacob October 5, 2009, 9:59 am

Ian – yup, looks like. sadly it looks like the permissions to use the touch keyboard don’t work.. so you can’t load the keyboard to set the permissions.. don’t really know what to do at this point.. glad i ran a backup though.

Cyanogen – we need a fix for the MyTouch

• Jasper October 5, 2009, 10:01 am

I followed the instructions on this site and everything worked perfectly.

To fix the Touch Input issue, uninstall Touch input (from the manage applications menu) and then download and install the new version here:

• bittermormon October 5, 2009, 11:03 am

just a note that Cyanogen has updated his instructions to wipe after installing the HTC image.

• Ian Renton October 5, 2009, 12:49 pm

For myTouch / Magic users: According to his latest tweet, Cyanogen has an update in the works and has suggested we wait for it:

• Joseph October 5, 2009, 1:48 pm

Hey, i was wondering if i could use these steps coming from CM 4.0.4?
    no one seems to give me an answer anywhere i ask lol

• Ian Renton October 5, 2009, 2:06 pm

Joseph: I believe the procedure is the same, so regardless of what you’ve got on there at the moment, you start from the Dream devphone recovery image, then slap Cyanogen Mod on top of that.

• Joseph October 5, 2009, 2:08 pm

Alright thats what i thought =] thanks for clarifying, im going to do this now lol.

• steeef October 5, 2009, 2:17 pm

Followed instructions exactly on a G1 with 4.1.11.1, no wipe necessary. Thanks!

• Joseph October 5, 2009, 2:19 pm

This isnt going to get rid of my Root is it? i dont see why it would, im just curious

• Joseph October 5, 2009, 2:45 pm

Followed the steps. no wipe. no problems. Touch Input was my only problem.

• David all the way from toronto October 5, 2009, 9:00 pm

question i have a unlocked g1 using rogers right now, if i do install the cyanogen will it lock my phone ? as i have read from searches i have past through, im not sure though i love cyanogen but if it locks my phone its ok

• Ian Renton October 5, 2009, 9:23 pm

David: This process just affects the Android software itself, it has no effect on whether your phone is network-locked or not. If your phone is unlocked, it’ll stay that way.

• Alec October 6, 2009, 4:01 am

“Your providers ‘boot’ screen (in my case T-Mobile) might be displayed for slightly longer than normal. ”

In my case its just “HTC DREAM”

That just displayed for like 15 minutes for me, so I had to boot in recovery and restore the latest backup. I don’t know what went wrong?…. :(

• Ryan October 6, 2009, 6:30 am

I tried both this and the “wipe” method and after all is said and done, every time I select “Settings” I get an acore force close. Any suggestions?

• brad October 6, 2009, 12:06 pm

i have this root but now i want my donut 1.6 firmware is there any way i can get it without unrooting my phone????? thanks for all your help

• Axold October 6, 2009, 12:24 pm

If you have a Magic/myTouch 3G it’s better to wait until Cyanogen makes his work.

If you try to install the 4.1.99 in a Magic, you’re wasting your time because you can not use the keyboard to fix the permissions in the terminal. Yesterday I tried a few times (even updating the touch input) and it doesn’t work.

So I recommend you to wait ;)

• Ross McKillop October 6, 2009, 12:50 pm

brad – if you follow this process you will have Donut on your phone (G1) – but the cyanogenmod version of Donut.

Others who have Magic/MyTouch 3G – Axold is right. Wait for cyanogen to release his version/update for those models.

• Miguel Wickert October 6, 2009, 2:52 pm

Doesn’t get any better than this. I completed the entire process. No problems or issues with Google apps. Cheers! Thanks for sharing!

• JasonL October 6, 2009, 5:40 pm

I currently have 4.1.11.1 installed on my phone. A few questions,
    1. If i update to the 4.1.99 will it erase any of my already current data?
    2. Will the CM Updater app still detect updates?
    3. What is new in 4.1.99 over 4.1.11.1 besides making it legal?
    Thanks in advance…

• glycolized October 6, 2009, 7:02 pm

I also have a T-Mobile G1, running Donut, and I am also getting the “Backup FAILED” message. I am following the “Steps 6-20” of the other link and I am stuck at #15. I didn’t already have Flash Recovery 1.4, so I installed it.

I tap “Backup Recovery Image” and I see the “WORKING, DO NOT INTERRUPT” message flash very quickly – like a tenth-of-a-second long.

• ruben October 6, 2009, 8:00 pm

my phones laggy as hell booting, starting, it wont let me dial phone numbers…. and is very retarded unless i kill all apps that are running……

back to 4.1.11.1 with nandroid

i have a g1 with the danger spl …i have another partition on the sdcard (when i tried out hero)

kn anybody give me any useful tips to get this going?

• bodyman October 6, 2009, 8:04 pm

You can apply the fix_permissions anytime, it is located in /system/bin/fix_permissions and I have applied it a couple of days later when I remembered to apply it. Just when you remember, apply it and then reboot and you should be all set.

• Yoshi October 6, 2009, 8:23 pm

If you are still running CM 4.0.4 do you need to update to a different build to get the market update and if so which rom do you have to update to??

• Ross McKillop October 6, 2009, 8:42 pm

JasonL – 1) probably not, but backup anyway. 2) I don’t know, I don’t use CM Updater. 3) check the changelog for all updates/changes on the xda developers forum.

glycolized – going from stock Donut to 4.1.99 should work (a friend has done it, but reported the same backup problems as you). I *think* the issue lies w/ Flash Recovery 1.4 not being entirely Donut compatible. But I can’t say that for certain. My friend just skipped the backup step, and rebooted into the CM Recovery 1.4. From there, the installation went fine. But again, this is something someone else did, not me, so I can’t say for sure what will happen.

Yoshi – 4.0.4 was the last build I used before going to 4.1.99. I don’t know if one of the unstable releases (eg. 4.1.11.1) included the updated Market. I know that 4.1.99 *does* include the new market.

• Yoshi October 6, 2009, 8:46 pm

But I thought the market was one of the propietary apps that arent allowed in the new mods

• Ross McKillop October 6, 2009, 9:19 pm

Yoshi – correct, it’s not allowed to be included in CyanogenMod. It’s a part of signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip.

• George October 6, 2009, 9:21 pm

I never did fix_permissions when installing 4.1.99 have a G1 , Everything seem fine, however it lags frequently tho. Should i still do the fix_permissions????? now running 4.1.999. Thanks

• Flashfox October 6, 2009, 9:21 pm

4.1.11.1 offered the “new market”. That’s what I have on my G1. I am now preparing to flash 4.1.99 then 4.1.999

• Flashfox October 6, 2009, 10:23 pm

Follow-up… went from 4.1.11.1 to 4.1.99 per the instructions listed above. I did not need to wipe my G1. Afterwards, I went from 4.1.11 to 4.1.999. However, I had to download the file from XDA and move it to the root directory as CM Updater is stuck at 4.1.11.1. This being said, I can confirm that all of the apps I had installed in 4.1.11.1 are working just fine in 4.1.999. I did no need to reload any!

• Don_MNL October 6, 2009, 10:32 pm

Went thru step by step and waited patiently for the cyanogen android to boot up and from my main screen it says
    “Sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.”
    I can only tap the “Force close” button.

Please help.

• Don_MNL October 6, 2009, 10:45 pm

It’s ok, just did a “wipe” to my phone and all seems to be working right now. That seemed to fix my issues. Another thing was that my applications kept force closing prior to wiping my phone.

All is well and thanks for the steps. I may be one of those isolated cases or might have done something wrong. As long as my phone is working I’m a happy camper.

• Don_MNL October 6, 2009, 11:02 pm

Update:

Pardon my NOOBness but has anyone else had problems with their bluetooth not being detected? Is there something that I missed with the installation? Thanks in advance.

• Ross McKillop October 6, 2009, 11:36 pm

Don_MNL – see this tutorial to update to 4.1.999 – which fixes bluetooth.

• Ian October 7, 2009, 12:54 am

In case anyone’s still sitting on the fence about doing this on a Magic/myTouch, I’ve just tried it on my UK Vodafone Magic 32B and it works fine. No wipe, fix_permissions from the terminal after rebooting.

• Don_MNL October 7, 2009, 12:55 am

Ross McKillop – Ah thank you so much. Will do.

• Daniel October 7, 2009, 2:58 am

I have a G1 HTC Dream with JF Image 1.51 installed. Do I have to do a full recovery or can I start with step two of your instructions?

• wayne October 7, 2009, 4:12 am

Ok a total noob question…- have a totally unrooted tmobile g1 running 1.6. on the htc developer page…am I supposed to download the 14721.zip file even if I don’t have the developer phone?

And I’ve read a few other step by steps and they all mention wiping…is that unnecessary with this set of directions? Id prefer your instructions as they appear the most user friendly, yet technical in nature. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Stefing October 7, 2009, 4:17 am

Model UK G1
    Firmware 1.6
    Baseband 62.50S.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
    Kernel 2.6.29.6-cm41
    Mod CyanogenMod-4.1.11.1
    Build DRC63

Recovery flasher:
    After pressing “Backup Recovery Image”, “Backup FAILED.” appears almost immeadiately – anyone have any ideas?
    nandroid backup works but I’m assuming this is also essential.

• Ian October 7, 2009, 5:12 am

@Wayne: Yes, the developer image works on all the Cyanogen-supported phones and their variants (Dream, G1, ADP1, Magic 32B, ION, myTouch). You may have to wipe – I didn’t, but I was upgrading from CM 4.1.11 not from stock firmware. I believe I did have to wipe when I first moved from stock to CM 4.0, so I’m afraid you probably will too.

@Stefing: SD card full? That’s the only thing that’s caused backups to fail for me in the past.

• Stefing October 7, 2009, 5:20 am

@Ian Nope – plenty of room on sdcard, I went ahead and installed anyway, I’m currently enduring the glacially slow first boot before I reboot and see how good/bad it really is ;)

• wayne October 7, 2009, 5:30 am

@ian…

Thanks…still a noob…at what point do I wipe? (the phone…that is). And do you know of any step by step to get back to factory settings?

@community and ian

Before I root!! Ok with this whole google and c/d notice, does anybody know if/where I will be able to find/use the google suite of applications…maps, voice, market, etc?

Thanks again

• Ian October 7, 2009, 5:53 am

@Wayne:
    I would wipe directly after your Nandroid backup, so between steps 4 and 5 above. If you’re going for it anyway, I would try the whole procedure first without wiping – you never know, it might work! If you get a lot of Force Close popups or apps not working, follow the procedure again but wipe between 4 & 5.
    Your Nandroid backup will get you back to whatever you had before. Ensure you make it (step 3) and that it works before carrying on. If at any point you run into problems, turn the phone on while holding the Home key, and select “[Alt+R] Restore Latest Backup”. That’ll restore your entire phone to what you backed up – apps, settings, everything.
    The Google apps will be available if you follow the procedure here. They’re included in the Dev Phone image that you flash first, and the Cyanogen Mod you flash over the top doesn’t overwrite them. The fix_permissions script (AFAIK) is needed so that the Google apps from the Dev Phone image are properly accessible from the Cyanogen Mod base software.

• Stefing October 7, 2009, 6:47 am

After 4 reboots I’ve gone back from all the 9s to all the 1s – it was like setting cement for me, couldn’t even receive a call.

• Matt M. October 7, 2009, 10:29 am

Does not work on my G1. I tried to upgrade from 4.1.11 using this method. Are people having success who also have their apps on the sd ext partition? Tried clearing the dalvik-cache and fix permissions w/o any success. I also tried this method with 4.1.999 as well and produced the same results. My phone boots, but response becomes so slow that the phone is unusable. Repeated reboots do not make any difference. I also tried the wipe method suggested by Cyanogen on XDA, but with that scenario my phone was only marginally usable. I can go back to 4.1.11 cleanly and all runs phenomenally.
    Anyone have suggestions?

• Stefing October 7, 2009, 10:40 am

@Matt M. I also already had apps on SD, I would have thought that was common though.
    Unusuably slow even after several rebootd.

• Matt M. October 7, 2009, 10:46 am

@Stefing Does yours spontaneously reboot back to the Adroid splash screen on occasion? And then back to the Home screen? Well, mine does, which I have to say is all types of awesome! ;)

• Stefing October 7, 2009, 11:29 am

@Matt M. Yep – and then gave up on it!

• Ian Renton October 7, 2009, 11:48 am

@MattM & Stefing: I have apps on my SD card as well and mine’s running at full speed, so it’s probably not that causing you issues.

Out of interest, how often did your phones reboot on you? I haven’t been paying that close attention to mine since 4.1.999, but I saw an unexpected reboot maybe once every few days on 4.1.11.

• Axold October 7, 2009, 3:08 pm

Ross McKillop, I’m thinking that your tutorial is very well documented. So if you want, I can translate it to Spanish. I think it can be useful here in Spain.

You can publish the article in your blog if you want, or if you allow me, I can publish here in a few Spanish Android communities.

• Nips October 7, 2009, 3:54 pm

when i get to the “fix_permissions” step, i type it in but nothing happens
    help?

• Michael Angeles October 7, 2009, 5:28 pm

Followed these steps exactly, but when I enter fix_permissions it says.
    cat: can’t open ‘/data/system/packages.xml’ : no such file or directory

any help?

• Craig October 7, 2009, 7:12 pm

I have the same problem as Micheal, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

• Ross McKillop October 7, 2009, 7:56 pm

Michael and Craig – the only info I could find on that error was from the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=3928616 and it seemed that re-flashing resolved the problem. I’m not sure if you could pick up at step #10 and go from there, or if you’d need to reflash the Recovery image (signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip) and cyanogenmod 4.1.99 (ie. start all over).

Do either of your phones work normally without running fix_permissions? The file you mentioned (/data/system/packages.xml) contains info on all the apps you have installed, I’m not sure why that file wouldn’t exist…

• Michael Angeles October 7, 2009, 8:26 pm

@ross,
    I have repeated the entire update process and still get the same error. Without fix_permissions my phone is extremely slow. All my apps act very odd, and I get a lot of force closes on everything. I just decided to resort back to 4.0.4 until I can find a solution. Thanks for your help, any other suggestions?

• Chip October 7, 2009, 8:42 pm

Arrgh!!! Is there any step-by-step that outlines EVERY step for going from a new T-Mo G1 out of the box to 4.1.999 including partitioning, rooting, wiping, backing up, shaking, kicking, throwing or any other necessary step to get through the entire process. I’m not a developer by any means, but I can follow directions. The problem I’m having is sorting through all of the different sites that explain how to get from A to B or from 1 to 2 but nothing that explains which comes first. Have had a G1 for a few weeks, recently updated to 1.6 but have done nothing else except install apps/games from the market, and I accidentally reformated the SD card. I now have an 8 gb SD card. I would like to run apps from the card and I would like the G1 to run faster/stop having so many FC’s (especially now in 1.6). I have heard and read lots of good things about the Cyanogen Mods and have been following the developments since the c&d. I like the idea of more customization and I would like to try 4.1.999 but am having trouble figuring out where to start. Please advise.

• Chip October 7, 2009, 9:27 pm

to clarify, this tutorial and the linked one from step 1 seem to be very thorough, but I cannot seem to get the Backup Recovery image to succeed. In the step 1 on this page it says to only follow steps 6 – 20 on the other tutorial, but since I keep getting a “Backup FAILED” error, should I be doing a different step first?

• Ross McKillop October 7, 2009, 9:52 pm

Chip –

OK here goes. I’m putting this up front, and stressing it as much as I can. I have NOT tried to update to CyanogenMod from a “stock” 1.6 Donut release to 4.1.99 or .999. So my suggestions are just that – suggestions. They’re based on feedback I’ve received from other people, so I *think* it will work, but, I refuse to be responsible if something goes wrong.

Skip the backup. When it says “backup failed” – are you still presented with a “Flash Cyanogen Recovery 1.4” button? If so, click it and carry on. You won’t have a backup to revert to, but you should be able to create one in nandroid once you boot into the Android system recovery.

Again, proceed with caution. Someone that emailed me about this exact issue did get it to work, and I believe the way he went about it was to skip the backup step. I *believe* that the Recovery Manager 1.4 isn’t entirely compatible with Donut.

You may want to wait until cyanogen comes up w/ a more user-friendly way for folks to go from a stock/non-rooted/non-modded Android running Donut straight to 4.1.999 (assuming he’s working on it, I can’t say for certain that he is). But, like I said, I do know at least one person in your situation that did end out getting 4.1.99 on their phone.

• Chip October 7, 2009, 10:01 pm

Thanks Ross, sorry for the freak out. It is great that there is so much info out there regarding all of the various mods etc, but for a newby, it can be very confusing as to what is applicable. Unfortunately the “Backup to Flash Cyanogen Recovery 1.4” button is greyed out and not an option. Should the text box have something in it?

• Ross McKillop October 7, 2009, 11:11 pm

Chip (and anyone else with the same problem) –

I’m contacting the fellow I was working on this w/ earlier to see how he ended out getting it resolved. If I hear back from him, I’ll be sure to update w/ his method.

• Stefing October 7, 2009, 11:19 pm

I have exactly the same problem as Chip, I wonder if everyone with the Flash Recovery failure also gets a retarded robot at the end of it all?
    Going to have another try today.

• Stefing October 8, 2009, 12:11 am

Followed every step exactly.
    Flash recovery won’t work – as before.
    Unusuably slow, even after reboot – as before.
    First error is “application partnersetup has stopped unexpectedly”
    When I eventually manage to get About phone up the Baseband version differs from that pictured, I have 62.50S.20.17H_2.22.19.26I
    Recovering back to previous version…

• Ross McKillop October 8, 2009, 7:37 am

For those of you upgrading from stock Donut and get the Flash Recovery won’t work/error, here’s what I found out from someone who had Donut and upgraded successfully:

Stock donut does not have the exploit that makes the “one-click-root” possible with flashrec.apk. Further, flashrec only works with Cupcake and not with previous Android builds.

What I did was to roll back to RC29 then I upgraded manually to Cupcake, ran flashrec.apk and continued on from steps 6-20 of your tutorial here: https://www.simplehelp.net/2009/09/21/the-complete-step-by-step-guide-to-rooting-your-android-phone/

Then I continued on with (this tutorial) to update to 4.1.99

I rolled back to RC29 by finding the RC29 DREAMING.nbh file that is floating around on the internet. I put the .nbh file on the root of my SD card and entered the G1’s bootloader mode by turning on the phone while holding the camera button, flashed to RC29 and then rebooted by pressing Talk+Menu+Power. I would have preferred to rollback to Cupcake but although I have the update.zip file to manually install Cupcake, I didn’t know where the needed .nbh was located.

• Chip October 8, 2009, 8:06 am

Thank you Ross. I’m sure this will be very helpful. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• paul October 8, 2009, 11:22 am

Im an idiot I admit it but I get to step 14 and need to know how to press enter I dont have a keyboard showing on my screen and cannot bring it up please help Im an idiot

• Bigtex October 8, 2009, 12:04 pm

Issue: Backup FAILED.
    Model: T-Mobile G1
    Firmware version: 1.5
    Baseband version: 62.33.20.08U_1.22.14.11
    Kernel version: 2.6.29.6-cm-4
    Mod version: CyanogenMod-4.0.4
    Build number: CRC1

SD Card
    Total Space 7,686MB
    Available space: 5,486MB

Internal phone storage
    (It’s a clean wipe with the 1 extra apk for the flasher)
    Available space: 38MB

I rebooted my phone into the console and did a nandroid2.1 backup. I then wiped the phone. After this I re-booted normally and downloaded the Recovery Flasher tool. I opened the flasher and press Backup Recovery Image. Then I receive Backup FAILED.

Background info: I had JF1.5 mod until he stopped updating, however install the Cyanogen mod after it was recommended by throwing his update.zip and letting it go. My phone is/has been rooted if that makes a difference.

My SD card hasn’t yet been partitioned, or touched since original install of my phone last year, no ext3 or such partition on it.

My phone has not yet had 1.6 Donut mod, or really any OS since JF1.1 on it.

I removed any update.zip and older files from the root directory on SD card away, Other than the 2 specified new downloads from the post.

In reading I also went to my recovery flasher to attempt just flash the recovery 1.4 in, but it is greyed out. I am able to type in the bar above it if there is something I can type to do this.

• Bigtex October 8, 2009, 1:09 pm

I just reverted to an old JF1.4 Mod I had layin around which is Firmware 1.1 on RC33. Still unable to do a backup. as well as the Flash Cyanogen Recovery 1.4 is grayed.

• Bigtex October 8, 2009, 1:46 pm

Sorry for the spam, but I managed to get the flash recovery to work.

After loading the JF1.4 mod I loaded his latest JF1.5 mod, did a wipe, then rebooted. Installed and it went through normally. It backed up then flashed. Hopefully this may help someone else.

• Chip October 8, 2009, 3:00 pm

“…What I did was to roll back to RC29 then I upgraded manually to Cupcake, ran flashrec.apk and continued on from steps 6-20 of your tutorial…”

Ross, I managed to roll back to RC29, but I am getting stuck at the “upgrade manually to cupcake” part. Is that the same as upgrading from RC29 to RC33?

• Chip October 8, 2009, 3:51 pm

Ok, so I finally got reverted (downgraded, or whatever you want to call it) to what I understand to be “Cupcake” Firmware 1.1; build RC33. I downloaded and installed flashrec.apk but when I push “Backup Recovery Image” I get a “Backup Failed” error. I’m basically back to where I started, but I’m running cupcake instead of dounut. Any suggestions?

• Lupin October 8, 2009, 4:08 pm

I did everything exactly right. So can someone tell me why my phone boots up at the [T-Mobile G1] screen for several seconds then turns off and repeats this process.

• Craig October 8, 2009, 4:23 pm

Hello everyone. I just installed Cyanogen 4.1.999 and now I cannot use the phone. I have a MT3G. The error I receive is
    Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

This happens continuously. Can’t call out, can’t receive calls (although the phone rings). If anyone has any advice, I’m all ears! Thanks.

• Craig October 8, 2009, 5:54 pm

It was an incomplete install, even though my build said it was the right one. Re-installed the build and all is amazing!

• Intellinus October 8, 2009, 6:07 pm

Tried the update.
    When in the process I didnt do the nandroid backup (I know…I know).

Both ROM installed, then the phone started very slow, first with a clean home then the phone screen went black and nothing works anymore……When I hit any button keyboard lights work, but nothing else does anymore…any clues ??

G1 GM 4.0.4

• johanbart October 8, 2009, 8:36 pm

for all us with laggy phones…..changing from ext2 to ext3 or ext4 should remove all laginess

• MrCottonmouth October 8, 2009, 9:31 pm

Intellinus, I have the same problem you have. I think my phone is a brick. I start the phone, get a black screen and nothing works. I can’t get to the recovery console anymore, no buttons work when I boot, can’t seem to get anything out of it now. I have to pull the battery to get it to turn the screen light off. I did the same steps before this tutorial was written a few days ago. Getting another g1 from craigslist tomorrow. I hope I don’t screw it up as bad. Any help appreciated. Be glad to have a g1 with any version of android working again. But I’ll try it again. Maybe the battery got weak during part of the procedure and only a piece of a rom got installed at some point.

• xOR October 9, 2009, 12:00 am

I’ve followed the instructions step by step and now my G1 is stuck on the G1 logo for over 10 min by now. Should I start to worry?

• Stefing October 9, 2009, 12:02 am

@xOR Let it run. And run. And run. And when it finishes let it have a long time to settle too. Then reboot,.

• xOR October 9, 2009, 12:05 am

Thanks Stefing, I’ll keep waiting…

• xOR October 9, 2009, 1:21 am

I’m afraid something has messed up :( The phone stood on the G1 screen for over an hour – I can’t imagine a process that can’t complete in such period of time, so I tried to reboot the phone, but no keys responded, so I took off the battery and put it back again. Started with the Home button pressed and it loaded the Android System Recovery. I tried to restore the latest backup, but it said it couldn’t be done, so I wiped and followed the steps from 5 on. This time fix_permissions didn’t work. I rebooted and the phone is back on the G1 logo…
    Any ideas?

• Bigtex October 9, 2009, 6:26 am

Chip- Cupcake is actually 1.5 update. 1.1 is a previous update that I believe came pre-installed on new phones at the time.

I would suggest putting an update.zip for RC29 or 33 on the phone. Then put the JF1.5 update on your phone and try it, that’s how I managed to get it going.

• Intellinus October 9, 2009, 7:48 am

I solved my problem yesterday.
    As said the phone was not dead, only veeeeery slow.
    I downloaded an older Recovery (not a fork) from directly to the SIMcard using an adapter, changed the name to update.zip, then took off battery, started with Home pressed, and selected the update.zip option.
    My G1 restarted back to live.

(I had to test a couple of Recovery, first one i tested was the latest, and my phone got a restart loop)

• AndroidUsr October 9, 2009, 12:30 pm

To: xOR;

> Open Terminal, (or download from Market
    > type: su
    > select an option, ALWAYS ALLOW is the easiest
    > reboot, go to RECOVERY MODE
    > Console
    > type: fix_permissions, allow to complete, then type: reboot you’re done! (i hope)

• Ross McKillop October 9, 2009, 4:02 pm

AndroidUsr – thanks for the tip, I hope it helps some. But at no point did I have to su/root to run fix_permissions.

• johanbart October 9, 2009, 5:28 pm

thx ross for the clear and simple steps to snappyness. There are 2 tips I’d like to add. When my phone a while ago seemed bricked, it wouldn’t do nothing anymore, i managed to solve it, by taking out the sd card, put the DREAM.nfh on the root of the card, insert the card again, and take it from there…..for the longest time i couldn’t figure out, why 4.1.999 was sooooo slow on my phone, but a little trip to xda solved that..it appears that if your card is partitioned with an ext2 partition, the phones comes to a grinding halt..if that happens to you,,,log into console again (if you don’t know how, you haven’t read above steps) and type “upgrade_fs” this will run a script provided with the rom since version 4.04 (I believe), and upgrades from ext2 to ext3, wich solved all my problems and hopefully yours too

• wayne October 9, 2009, 6:52 pm

Ok…so lets say i get it to work…(or don’t for that matter), using the directions cyan just posted on his site (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/rom/cyanogenmod-4-1-999/comment-page-1#comments) ..is there a fool proof way to get back to the orig 1.6 donut (starting point for most of us tmob g1 users)? i’m having the backup failed problem and this appears to be the fix for it.

• AndroidUsr October 9, 2009, 7:06 pm

Wayne: Need to now what you’re starting point is? out-of-the-box new? CyanogenMOD? Someonelse’sMod? What ver if Mod’d – 4.0.4? 4.1.1? etc…

Foolproof is a subjective term. I will say this: the more skill-sets you have in Linux/*nix or Computers in general, the better off you’re going to end up. That said, the instructions from the XDA I’ve found to be bulletproof. Nary a wrong step or command…

AndroidUsr

• socal October 10, 2009, 1:07 am

would “recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.2.img” work instead of “cyanogen recovery 1.4”

• socal October 10, 2009, 1:16 am

im running on
    Build: cyanogen 4.0.4
    Recovery: recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.2.img
    Radio: radio ota-radio-2_22_19_26I
    SPL: *dont* have danger spl
    Theme: ted hero theme

• gAto October 10, 2009, 8:02 am

Hi! and thank you for this great tutorial. I’m going to buy an HTC Dream (the one distributed by telefonica movistar Spain). I have read a lot of things regarding problems in the process of installation of the mod. Someone know if this tutorial is also applicable for the HTC Dream bought in Spain (Telefonica-Movistar)??

Thank you all for you support!

• papyromancer October 10, 2009, 8:22 am

Just wanted to leave a note saying that after the OTA update to 1.6 on an unrooted G1 I sucessfully wiped my G1 and installed 1.5. then installed cyanogen recovery 1.4 and from there I followed these instructions to install cyanogen 4.1.999.

I <3 Cyanogen

• pejot October 10, 2009, 8:39 am

THX FOR ALL

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 8:55 am

Gato, I’d check w/ Cyanogen or XDA w/ regards to the G1 in Spain. The GSM may be the same Service, but the spectrum in which they utilise GSM is a different Frequency than that used here in the U.S. ex: T-Mobile USA is a hop or two different in Frequency than AT&Ts.
    So be aware! You could inadvertently brick your G1; or worse, have a perfectly functioning Mod, only to discover that you have no Radio…

AndroidUsr

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 9:05 am

socal, Unless you want a $150 paper weight for your desk, I’d triple check the necessary Build BEFORE installing an IMG that may or may NOT be compatible w/ the CyanogenMod.
    Recall from the XDA: the new IMG image is directly taken from HTC, part of the new “mandate” that Google/Cyanogen have agreed to. That HTC image has not been Mod’d in any way nor is it legal for anyone to tinker with…
    Ergo, i’d advise against using “recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.2.img”.

My 2 Cents
    However, you may be onto something that has the potential to be a really cool Build… Might you have your Mother-in-Law’s G1 to try it out on first? lol

AndroidUsr

• socal October 10, 2009, 11:38 am

AndroidUsr,.. yeah i definitely *wouldn’t* want that,, its just that recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.2 is so much better than recovery 1.4,. and i think its just an improved upon .img… i actually just came across a few people that claim to have cyanogen 4.1.999 with recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.2 but i haven’t been able to find out how they did it,, and i dont really feel like being the guinea pig to find out,. so if anyone knows if i need to change recovery.img before following this tutorial or if i can keep recovery-RA-dream-v1.2.2.img and just flash from 4.0.4 to 4.1.99 then to 4.1999.. thx to whoever can help me out..

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 11:48 am

socal, lol on the Guinea Pig!

• socal October 10, 2009, 11:55 am

hahah it just ain’t gana happen like that..

• Kenneth Wislon October 10, 2009, 12:37 pm

Everything seems to be running fine except for the Market place will not open. Any ideas on what happened?

• Kenneth Wislon October 10, 2009, 12:44 pm

on start up is says “The application Google Partner Setup (process com.google.android.partnersetup) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.”

• andrewty October 10, 2009, 1:10 pm

I did this tutorial coming from Firmware version 1.1 with JFrc33 installed. The only thing that didn’t work was the “fix_permissions”. But I rebooted my phone and everything looks good, and my google apps work. Is this a problem?

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 2:22 pm

Andrewrty,
    >Open Terminal – download from Market if you don’t
    > type: su
    > choose Option that fits best. I choose ALWAYS ALLOW, it easiest, but less safe, fyi.
    > then run fix_permissions

• gussde October 10, 2009, 2:40 pm

Ok I loaded several images with no prob b4 however this one has me perplexed. I applied the signed-dream_devphone file just fine then the update-cm file locked up halfway through and never completed. I had to reboot. Now the Cyanogen Recovery will not load (I just get an exclamation point screen) and the nandroid recovery image will not load. Just get flash failed error. I’m willing to wipe it but how do I do so manually?

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 3:01 pm

Gussde,
    You asking how to Wipe your phone leads me to ass-u-me you’ve not wiped PRIOR to starting your Mod? Am i understanding correctly?

Reboot,
    > Power+Home
    > scroll down to Wipe; or (alt+w)
    > reboot holding the Home key
    > now apply the HTC DREAM img
    and proceed from there

• gussde October 10, 2009, 3:27 pm

No I didn’t wipe first. Always did previously. Learned my lesson now. Thanks AndroidUsr, I didn’t get the menu just a ! screen. and alt+w didn’t work before. It just worked. ALWAYS WIPE FIRST PEOPLE! LOL

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 3:32 pm

gussde,
    Cheers & buy Cyanogen a beer :)

• andrewty October 10, 2009, 3:44 pm

@androidusr
    Worked perfectly, thanks for all your help. Its people like you who make the android community the best.

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 3:49 pm

You’re welcome Sir :)

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 4:03 pm

Kenneth Wilson,
    Q: do you have Root/Super Usr (su) access?
    if so;
    > open Terminal
    > type: fix_permissions. Let it run, ignoring the screen verbiage.
    if no error,
    > reboot
    Then open Market

if no Root;
    > open Terminal
    > type: su
    > choose ALLOW, or ALWAYS ALLOW, your choice but the latter is less-safe, fyi
    > reboot
    then open Market & other Google Apps (Voice, Mail, IM, etc) to verify status. Be sure to check for gmail, contacts, and calendar sync!!

• gussde October 10, 2009, 5:01 pm

My Andriod System Recovery is still messed up and will not load. I can open the Recovery Flasher but either option Flash Cyanogen Recovery 1.4 or Restore Backup Recovery Image give me “Flash Failed”.

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 5:56 pm

gussde,
    Start over. Completely
    But first, WIPE!
    > check that you have 4.0.4 or 4.1.1
    > ” ” HTC DREAM img & that it gets loaded FIRST, then 4.1.99, then 4.1.999+Recovery1.4 DIRECTLY from Cyanogen’s website. Using Recovery 1.4 from the Pre-Google C&D can make your install go terribly WRONG!

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 6:01 pm

gussde,
    e-me if you have further issues: androidusr@gmail.com

• Promise October 10, 2009, 7:31 pm

Im having issues upgrading to 4.1.99 from 4.1.11.1.. I have Wiped., Flashed HTC image., Flashed Cyan ROM, then when I go to console to fix permissions everything goes weird., The scrolling writing lasts 3x as long as normal and almost ALL permissions fail., what did I do wrong., Any help would be awesome., : Promise760@gmail

• AndroidUsr October 10, 2009, 9:48 pm

Promise,
    > open Terminal – download from Market if you don’t have.
    > type: su
    > select ALLOW or ALWAYS ALLOW
    > reboot phone
    > Home+Power on startup
    > scroll down to Console, select w/ trackball
    > hit the ENTER key (this will give you a # symbol)
    > type: fix_permissions
    ** let it run its course!
    ** If no error;
    > type: reboot
    post back w/ results if no joy

• Guy October 10, 2009, 10:42 pm

Hello – I tried going to 4.1.99 today. I do not have a backup (too quick with the backup button and have a bad backup) – I follow the steps here and go the the new android screen that seems to flash a few times and then I am left with a black screen and nothing else. I have let this go for 45 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Guy October 10, 2009, 10:58 pm

Ugh. Just tried doing a wipe from the recovery screen and the doing the updates. Now I can’t run the fix_permissions (no such file – error).

BUT – the phone came up this time… Gmail works and root commands work…
    Am I good to go? The fix_permissions not working bothers me a bit.

• zhect October 11, 2009, 12:09 am

hey me again.. i tried installing a new rom but it didnt work for me. so now im trying to go bck to cyanogens but when i try to fix permissions it wont let me. any suggestions ?

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 1:05 am

Zecht & Guy,

> Open Terminal
    > type: su
    > choose ALLOW or ALLOW ALWAYS
    > type: reboot
    > hold HOME key while re-booting (or, HOME+POWER)
    > sroll down to Console, select.
    > Hit ENTER key
    > type: fix_permissions
    LET IT RUN ITS COURSE!!
    if no error;
    > type: reboot
    post w/ results if no joy

• Kevin Brown October 11, 2009, 8:40 am

Process above worked perfect for me….you need to have the proper Recovery Image installed and active or it won’t work at all….It did take quite a while for the system to boot after the update but not an hour like some suggest.

I’d restore the Backup you made before the flash and try again….restoring the backup will return you to the exact environment you had prior to updating or trying to update to 4.1.99.

Regards

• Kevin Brown October 11, 2009, 9:36 am

After updateing to 4.1.99 and 4.1..999continually receiving STOP message on Touch Input. Everytime you touch the screen you receive this message.

Any ideas?

• Promise October 11, 2009, 9:51 am

@ AndoridUsr .. Im running Cyan 4.1.11.1 now., I have CM Recovery Image (prior to CND) I have no issues flashing the HTC image or Cyan 4.1.99. The issue I have is when I go to console and run ‘fix_permissions’ I get an error ‘ cat : cant open, no such file or directory. This is after I ran SU through the terminal. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks in advance for all the support.. ( I love this ANDROID community )

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 10:12 am

Promise,
    Plz try the steps above as described. If that doesn’t work, try the same procedure from Terminal. This is a Linux/*nix-relatd issue; file permissions HAVE to be addressed so the Filesystem is able relay messages btwn the Shell & the file sub-system.

Sorry 4 the Engineer-speak on a Sunday AM…

• Promise October 11, 2009, 10:13 am

@ Kevin Brown.. I have seen users with this issue, and I believe there is an easy fix. On Cyanogenmod.com there is a reference to “Touch” issues : “IF HTC Touch Input Force Closes: install file below =)” .. said link = HTC Touch Input: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=567294 Hope this helps..

• Promise October 11, 2009, 10:20 am

@ AndroidUsr ..
    I’m going to try flashing all over again ( for the 5th time )
    Steps as i know them :
    ~Backup “Nandroid” (If not done already)
    ~Wipe
    ~Flash HTC image
    ~Flash Cyan 4.1.99
    ~Go to console & push enter, then type “fix_permissions”
    ~Then type “Reboot” …. Will post back with results

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 10:22 am

Kevin Brown,
    I concur w/ Promise; but i refer you to Cyanogen’s www for that HTC Touch update. Scroll to bottom of His instructions. or follow my link:

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 10:29 am

Kevin Brown,
    Hold one moment Sir…

“~Backup “Nandroid” (If not done already)
    ~Wipe
    ~Flash HTC image
    ~Flash Cyan 4.1.99”

** Let the Phone boot up cleanly, Open terminal, run: su. Choose ALLOW or ALWAYS ALLOW, THEN proceed w/ your directives below by re-booting into Recovery Mode

~Go to console & push enter, then type “fix_permissions”
    ~Then type “Reboot”

• Promise October 11, 2009, 11:17 am

@ AndroidUsr.,
    I followed revised steps, and all went well, I had no issues or errors while fixing permissions, so I went ahead and flashed 4.1.999. Now my issue is that the ROM is so slugish that it makes the devise unusable., slugish im experiencing is : Delay’d ‘touch” response, blacked out screen when selecting almost any screen change. Any idea on why my flash whould cause such a slow down ?? P.S I have Gtalk or Twitter if that would speed up this proccess., Thanks again !!

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 11:19 am

To All who are having fix permissions Issues; Some of your issues can arise from having a corrupted EXT partition on your SD card… So,
    > re-boot into Console – Home+Power
    > Alt+X or scroll to Console
    > hit the ENTER key
    > type: fs_fsck
    > type: reboot
    > hold HOME key while re-booting
    > go back to Console
    > ENTER key
    > type: fix_permissions (let it do its thing…)
    > type: reboot
    post back if no joy

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 11:28 am

Promise,
    What ver of Mod are you at? .99 or .999?

• Promise October 11, 2009, 11:33 am

AndroidUsr.,
    I flashed .99 then .999 but since i was having lag issues, I restored back to 11.1 Both .99 and .999 had this ‘Lag” issue.. I also remember a Tweet from Cyan mentioning rebooting a few times after flashing to sort of (stir the soup) mix up all files. Heard of this before ?

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 11:45 am

Promise,
    Yes. this is known as re-setting the Registry. Common practice in Bill Gates’ World, but applicable in the *nix World as well.

Let’s do this: i have to step away from my Mac for a 3 hrs. I suggest you Start over, Completely. 1st w/ a WIPE, then reverting back to RC29. Recall RC29 was pre-Google Cease & Desist.
    I hav & can email you RC29 if you cant find.
    After RC29, you can pick up the Tutorial on this site (steps 6-20) after downgrading & proceed from there.
    All that may not sound palatable, but its a sure-fire method. I Mod G1s for a part-time biz, & have found the method above to work. Infallibly.
    e-me if you have concerns/Qs after 16:00 hrs California time:

androidusr@gmail.com

• Joe Mama October 11, 2009, 1:08 pm

Wipe data step should exist between steps 4 and 5, according to Cyanogen’s own instructions, not to mention the comments above.

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 5:47 pm

gussde,
    Regarding your issue of Donut 1.6 w/ no Recovery Console:

Download image (right-click, save as): http://cyanogenmod.com/download/recovery/cm-recovery-1.4.img

To install image: copy it to your sdcard, open Terminal, and type:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.4.img
    If you have problems with a “no space on device” error, try using fastboot and erasing first:

fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot flash recovery cm-recovery-1.4.img

**Post back w/ results

• gussde October 11, 2009, 9:41 pm

I get permission denied.

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 9:48 pm

gussde,
    Elaborate plz… details help, thx

• gussde October 11, 2009, 9:51 pm

Sorry,
    I type in flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.4.img and get
    flash_image: permission denied

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 9:59 pm

aaahh
    > open Terminal
    > type; su
    > choose ALLOW or ALWAYS ALLOW
    > clean reboot – (all the way to a desktop)
    > then run the Flash

post back results at that point
    post back your results

• gussde October 11, 2009, 10:06 pm

I type in su and get:
    su: uid 10035 not allowed to su

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 10:12 pm

gussde,

Oops! my bad

> Market
    > SuperUser Whitelist (it’s free)
    > run app
    then repeat earlier instructions

e-me after 12 my time. Ill be walking my Akitas and hav my Mobile w/ me

• AndroidUsr October 11, 2009, 10:16 pm

gussde,
    I’ve always assumed you have Root.. Yes?

• gussde October 11, 2009, 10:28 pm

Yes I had root before. Unless it got messed up with the recovery console? Just guessing. I downloaded Superuser Whitelist and it said unsuccessful install. Then a pop up: Incompatible Update.

• goldfish524 October 11, 2009, 10:49 pm

What is the baseband? The one in your picture is slightly different from mine, mine says 62.50S.20.17H_2.22.19.261

• niv October 12, 2009, 5:25 am

hey guys,
    i posted awhile back about getting the BACKUP FAILED problem. After GOOGLING about it, i was led to this link: http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/Get_Root
    from this: http://groups.google.com/group/Android-DevPhone-Updating/browse_thread/thread/d219b3327b98821a (refer to the post by Jakob).

After doing all the steps, i was able to get to Recover 4.1 and so i started at step 1 on this site.

All seemed well until i get to reboot. Then the bootup just seemed to ‘halt’ at Cyanogen’s bootup screen (after the TMobile G1 screen) then blank.

Someone posted to do a “upgrade_fs” to resolve the ‘halt’ and i did, but i didnt fix the issue for me.

Please help. Thanks!

• niv October 12, 2009, 5:34 am

Ok, so i got past the Cyanogen ‘halt’ by doing the following:
    1. reboot the phone using the the HOME + POWER (recovery mode)
    2. fix the ext filesystem
    3. wipe the phone clean
    4. reboot

now im in the home screen. hope anyone with the same issue as mine can find this tip useful.

now on to testing the cyanogen mod.

• niv October 12, 2009, 5:36 am

@goldfish: mine is also different from the pic and from yours.
    my baseband value says: 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29

How do we update it to 62.50S?

• zhect October 12, 2009, 9:12 am

@androidusr
    Thanks followed the steps and I was able to fix permissions. Now running .999 and is very fast and responsive. Thanks a lot.

• Kevin Brown October 12, 2009, 9:28 am

4.1.99 and 4.1.999 are pegging my CPU to 100% constantly without letup….looking at App Manager doesn’t show, however the debug shows the kernel is using 100% of the CPU and never stops.

Backing down to 4.1.11.1 as it was very stable and had no probelms….outside ot the AppsToSD never working write….not sure what 4.1.99 offers? Anyone know what this ROM update is supposed to offer users? I.e., why should we upgrade???

• Promise October 12, 2009, 11:23 am

@ Kevin Brown.,
    I am having the same issues upgrading to ‘The 9’s’ I am having lag and slugish performance. I also restored back to .11.1 Do you by chance have the zip file for 4.11.1 ?? if so, could you kindly email me the zip ?? Email = Promise.G1@gmail.com Thanks in advance..

• Promise October 12, 2009, 11:24 am

*** Sorry for double post’s… This site must be having some issues, at times my comments dont show..

• Kevin Brown October 12, 2009, 11:34 am

All the Cyanogen roms are here…this is to the Pre which has the 4.x.xx.x releases…in the Expreimental are the 4.1.99 and 999….very useful favorite to keep in your browser.

• zim October 12, 2009, 12:18 pm

Can I follow these steps if I’m coming from JF’s 1.51?

• zim October 12, 2009, 12:48 pm

Also, do we have to run ap2sd and swap or will cyanogen’s rom automatically do that?

• AndroidUsr October 12, 2009, 1:03 pm

Zim,
    1) yes on JF 1.51. Triple check that you have Recovery 1.4 prior to starting. & plz FORMAT your SD card to FAT32. Not doing this can & will lead to issues down the road…

2) You’re good to go on the Apps2SD. All of Cyanogen’s recent Mods are & will be automated for Apps2SD. Simply Power off, insert your chosen SD card & Power on.

• Kevin October 12, 2009, 1:27 pm

I was having all the “slow down” problems and more. But I’ve got it now. This is what I did. It had to do with ext2.
    1.) I reverted back to 4.1.99. Wiped.
    2.) Went to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=534714 .
    Read through to part iii – convert ext2 to ext3/ext4:
    Goto consule and run
    upgrade_fs
    3.) rebooted
    4.) Flashed 4.1.999, reboot
    5.) its fast now. no delays at all

hope this saves a few hours for you.

• Lakin Wecker October 12, 2009, 2:49 pm

Deek,

I was using Cyanogen 4.1.11 (I think that was the version) and following these instructions on my Rogers HTC Dream worked fine

• Promise October 12, 2009, 3:15 pm

I think Kevin has figured it out., I was having the same ‘Lag’ and ‘Slugish’ performance trying to upgrade to .99/.999 I ran the command in the console, and all seems fine, fast, no lag.. Thanks go to @ AndroidUsr & Kevin

• Kenneth Wilson October 12, 2009, 4:28 pm

Hey AndroidUser, I tried to run fix_permissions on su but that didn’t work either. I still can open the market or use gmail. Super user us when you select “go to console” with the trackball under the reboot menu right? And I do have root access so a little confused. Thanks hope to hear from you soon

• AndroidUsr October 12, 2009, 4:42 pm

Kenneth Wilson,
    Super Usr/Root or su, are identical. But, one is a Command-su, and the other is an Administrative Power. Administrator is an analogue if you come from the *indows World.

> reboot into Recovery – Home+Power
    > Console (Alt+X)
    > type: fix_permissions

post back w/ results plz

• AndroidUsr October 12, 2009, 4:46 pm

Kenneth Wilson,
    When in Console, I’m assuming you’re hitting the ENTER key prior to typing: su?
    By hitting the ENTER key, you bring up a ‘#’ prompt. Thats when to typr: fix_permissions… FYI

• Kenneth Wilson October 12, 2009, 5:00 pm

Actually I don’t type su. I go to console. And is says press enter. I do and you are correct the “#” sign does show and that is when I type “fix_permissions” and lots of words flash by then another “#” apears. I then type reboot. It reboots and problem not solved

• AndroidUsr October 12, 2009, 7:12 pm

Kenneth Wilson,
    Good! We’re getting somewhere w/ the permissions, but plz refresh my memory w/ your issue? Mondays r long & so is this thread :) thx

• Kenneth Wilson October 13, 2009, 5:41 am

No problem. My issue is I cannot the app market or gmail. And I receive a force close on start up about google partnership

• Intellinus October 13, 2009, 8:49 am

Had a long roundtrip:
    When I installed 4.1.99 I had to walk trough tmobile ROM, my mistake was reload the phone, then i wasnt rooted anymore.

As I am in Peru, I had to find a APN data from Telefonica, my provider

Had to repeat start steps to reload old ROM and root it.
    – Back to old ROM.
    – Rooted
    – APN configure, login to google (Market)
    – Then followed all the steps to 4.1.99 and then 4.1.999
    Finally configure the APN again (phone didnt connected through wifi to google)
    – 4.1.999 worked great until i partitioned and installed my 8GB sim for installing apps on it. (had to wipe in this process, phone had some preoblems)

Dont know why, but after card install my phone is very slow, but working.

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 12:33 pm

Intellinus,
    Kevin has this issue nailed. Here’s his instructions:
    1.) I reverted back to 4.1.99. Wiped.
    2.) Went to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=534714 .
    Read through to part iii – convert ext2 to ext3/ext4:
    Goto consule and run
    upgrade_fs
    3.) rebooted
    4.) Flashed 4.1.999, reboot
    5.) its fast now. no delays at all

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 12:57 pm

Kenneth Wilson,
    Need to know what you’ve done so far pz

> Mod ver.99? .999?
    > do u have Root? – Open Terminal, type: su Post results if error
    > If root, reboot into Console
    > Alt+X
    > hit the ENTER key
    > type: fix_permissions

post results plz

• Tim October 13, 2009, 3:20 pm

@Kevin thanks, upgrade_fs took care of the lag. i was about to give up. no i wasn’t, but i was thinking about it.

• Intellinus October 13, 2009, 4:27 pm

Just made the sdcard partition with ext3 and swap. My G1 reloaded great now, didnt need to wipe or reflash to 4.1.99

Thanks AndroidUsr, thanks all.

G1 CyanogenMod 4.1.999 System Recovery 1.4

• Kenneth Wilson October 13, 2009, 5:06 pm

I checked under about phone and I have mod version 4.1.99 and typing su in cosole leads to “su not found”

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 5:14 pm

@Kenneth Wilson,

Since your at .99, reboot into Recovery Console – home+power, Alt+X
    Hit the ENTER key
    > type: fix_permissions

Post results plz

• Kenneth Wislon October 13, 2009, 5:35 pm

i just updated to .999 so im gonna see how that works. cuz the fix_permissions fails to work

• Kenneth Wislon October 13, 2009, 5:42 pm

okay i updated to .999 lol i s till cant open the market.

• Jordan October 13, 2009, 9:07 pm

i have a mytouch3g with firmware 1.6 and im trying to install cyanogen mod. i have recovery flasher. update-cm-4.1.99-signed.zip and signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip is on the sdcard. when i open recovery flasher and press backup recovery image, it says backup failed.

how do i get past this?

• Jordan October 13, 2009, 9:19 pm

ive tried skipping recovery flasher. i turned off my phone, held down the home button, and then turned the phone one. it shows the mytouch3g logo. then it shows a logo with an ! inside a triangle next to a picture of the phone. what am i doing wrong?

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 9:22 pm

@Jordan,
    > boot into Recovery Console – Home+Power
    > go to Console – Alt+X
    > Hit ENTER key
    > type: fix_permissions (lines of code will fly by, all is well)
    > When complete, type: reboot

You should be ready for .999 at this point

• Jordan October 13, 2009, 9:35 pm

AndroidUsr says

@Jordan,
    > boot into Recovery Console – Home+Power
    > go to Console – Alt+X
    > Hit ENTER key
    > type: fix_permissions (lines of code will fly by, all is well)
    > When complete, type: reboot

You should be ready for .999 at this point
    ——
    didnt work… when i press home+power i get a black screen with an ! inside a triangle next to a picture of the phone and it just stays on this screen.

• Jason October 13, 2009, 9:37 pm

Hey everyone,
    I had troubles entering system recovery. My g1 always gets stuck at the service provider logo and I can’t figure out why it won’t load:S. My phone doesn’t have a custom firmware on it at the moment, just the stock cupcake.
    Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 9:39 pm

@Jordan,
    What ver of HTC’s ROM did you use?
    you need to have: HTC ADP 1.6 DRC83
    That ROM comes directly from here:

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 9:41 pm

@Jordan,
    Also, what Recovery do you have?
    (Home+Power), it should read: JF something…

• Jordan October 13, 2009, 9:52 pm

I tried the 1.6 adp and it didn’t work. I don’t know what recovery I was using, but when I home+power I do not get jf… just that screen

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 9:55 pm

@Jason,
    You need to install a Recovery to enter the Recovery…
    Stock G1s are just that. Stock

Check out this link, set aside 60-90 mins @ enjoy!

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 10:09 pm

@Jordan,
    1) I took this off your previous posting: “signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip”
    That above is a MOD for the G1. You stated earlier you had a MyTouch. What do you have? MT3 or G1?

This is the most likely cause of your issue…

• Jordan October 13, 2009, 10:15 pm

I tried both. it still doesn’t work

• AndroidUsr October 13, 2009, 10:26 pm

@Jordan,
    It doesn’t sound like you did the steps properly or in order.
    And 2, you HAVE to install the Recovery 1st. The rest of the Mod process is 100% dependent on having a Recovery…
    When you are able to boot into Recovery, you will see “CyanogenMod v1.4 + JF”

Start over from square one IF your ROM isn’t already damaged

• BLACKMANTIS October 14, 2009, 3:00 am

I am having the backup FAILED issue with Recovery Flasher. I am on Firmware version 1.5, Baseband Version 62.33.20.08u_1.22.12.29, Kernel Version 2.6.29.6-cm4, cyanogenMod-4.0.4 CRC1.
    Can any one help?
    Thanx.

• Jordan October 14, 2009, 6:00 am

How do I install the recovery and what file do I use?

• Jason October 14, 2009, 8:22 am

I was trying to install the cyanogen flasher 1.4 and after I flashed it and shut the phone off. When I power on I hold power and home and wait for the system recovery screen to load but it gets stuck on the Rogers screen. I cant understand why but it happens everytime. Any suggestions?

• Ron October 14, 2009, 5:44 pm

Jordan, Do you have doughnut installed 1.6, I am not able to get the flashrec.apk to work on this version of android. I keep getting the “backup failed”. If this won’t work with 1.6 , I’m assuming I must downgrade to cupcake first??

• Rob October 14, 2009, 9:54 pm

Ok so I followed the instructions and now after the long cyanogen android screen, my phones been at a black screen for about 20 min now. I went from stock donut down to RC29, then followed the instructions. What should I do at this point? Restart all over again?

• Simon October 15, 2009, 5:12 am

These steps worked perfectly for me. I swapped steps 1 and 2 around so I would already have the zips on my SD before turning off my phone.

For anyone interested I have an Australian HTC Dream (Optus) that I had already rooted (ages ago) with JF’s mod and Hard SPL.

• BradO October 15, 2009, 6:44 am

I’ve encountered an issue that I haven’t seen mentioned yet. I followed all of the steps to get myself up to speed with 4.1.999 on Friday. Everything went smoothly, running well, no problems. UNTIL…two days ago. All of the sudden, at least two times a day, my desktop icons completely disappear. Once I reboot, they’re back, but after 12 hours or so of use, they’re once again gone. Any idea what may be causing this?

• BLACKMANTIS October 15, 2009, 1:23 pm

Anyone managed to esolve the backup FAILED issue with the same specs as me?
    SPECS:

• AndroidUsr October 15, 2009, 8:04 pm

@BradO,
    I suggest this:
    > Open Terminal (not the Console in Recovery)
    > type: fix_permissions (this WILL take a while, be patient)
    > reboot

If that doesn’t correct the issue:
    > open Terminal
    > type: fs_upgrade

If that fails; I suspect the SD card is bad. Or, the File system on the Ext partition is corrupt due to the SD card. fs_upgrade SHOULD’VE repaired if it’s a Software issue.
    NOT all SD cards are made the same. SanDisk & Transcend are reputable SD Co’s. Try a new one…
    If that fails, post results AFTER you’ve tried the above

Cheers

• AndroidUsr October 15, 2009, 8:28 pm

@BLACKMANTIS,
    Do you still have root? (Terminal, su, ALWAYS ALLOW or ALLOW)
    > If so; reboot into Recovery
    > Perform a Nandroid Backup
    When done, reboot holding the HOME key
    What Recovery are you looking at? It should say:
    Build: CyanogenMod v1.4 Recovery + JF

post results plz

• AndroidUsr October 15, 2009, 8:42 pm

@Jordan,
    step 1)
    check for root:
    > Open Terminal
    > type: su
    > choose ALLOW or ALWAYS ALLOW
    If root is present, Terminal
    > type: fix_permissions (this WILL take a while. Be Patient)
    > reboot
    Give your Market and check for sync gmail…

post results plz

• BradO October 16, 2009, 11:10 am

@AndroidUsr
    Thanks for the tips. Before I saw them, I had searched for the same issue (desktop icons disappearing) and found someone posting elsewhere with the same issue. I contacted him to find out if he had resolved the issue and he had and told me what to do, which was to boot into recovery and select “repair ext filesystems”. That did the trick!

• Kenneth Wilson October 16, 2009, 2:10 pm

AndroidUsr

Hey did you ever figure out a solution for me? Let me do a recap for you

My problem was that I can’t use the Market, Google Talk and Gmail apps.

When I was running 4.199 I tried running fix_permissions and the problem was not solved.

I am now upgraded tp 4.1999 and I am still in the same situation. What else can we do to troubleshoot the issue?

• AndroidUsr October 16, 2009, 2:26 pm

@Kenneth Wilson,

I left a Post for BradO, 5 posts up the page; he was having identical issues as you.
    e-me if you have trouble: androidusr@gmail.com

• David October 19, 2009, 1:20 pm

Hi!
    I’ve tried installing the ROM on my HTC Dream Orange. When trying to get into the Console, right after hitting the trackball the phone froze and I never got the console. I waited then took the battery out. I then wiped and tried it again 3 times without result. Then I tried again but rebooting without hitting Console. Now I can’t boot on any mode, including normal!
    I’m scared :(
    Any help?

• Brad October 20, 2009, 11:08 am

i have mod version: CyanogenMod-4.04 Do i still have to put the recovery image and all the stuff??? if i dont from which step do i start following.? THANKS

• AndroidUsr October 20, 2009, 11:24 am

@Brad,
    YES! on the Recovery & “all the stuff”.
    The chances of bricking your phone are as real as Death & Taxes IF you don’t follow exact directions; fyi

Start here & triple check your steps:

• Ummmm October 24, 2009, 5:42 pm

So wait. After I install this, it shows me the Google registration screen. I have to re-register and re-install all my apps and redo all my settings and everything??

• BLACKMANTIS October 25, 2009, 4:29 am

@ AndriodUsr
    I have Terminal Emulater but typing “su” and enter nothing happens, is it because I have done before in the past? So do i proceed with your instructions anyway?
    Thanks Mr AndriodUsr.

• StatingTheObvious October 25, 2009, 6:08 am

uummmm, yes when you pressed wipe, you did actually wipe everything. (what were you expecting) I can’t actually feel bad for you, cause about 50 people before have said to back up before attempting this. if you have fastboot and earlier back ups, you can revert to there

• AndroidUsr October 25, 2009, 7:42 am

@Ummm,
    Yes! But if you follow ALL instructions perfectly, & aftr u get apps2sd installed, it’l be your last time… enjoy the World of Modding

• Deepak October 25, 2009, 9:18 am

i am stuck at number 15 !!! i cant type with my keyboard underscore_ ? can someone help !!!

• BLACKMANTIS October 26, 2009, 3:58 am

@ AndriodUsr,
    Thanks Mr AndriodUsr.

• James Traynor October 26, 2009, 12:04 pm

Hi-

I’m on a TMobile G1.

I was running cm 4.0.4 and today I got a bug where my home button doesn’t work anymore and the phone doesn’t lock.

I figure this may have happened because I updated several apps at once and also set up the lock pattern preferences.

Anyway, today, I updated to 4.2.1 and the same home key fail and unlock problem exists.

Did I copy this bug to the new mod when I used nandroid backup?

Is there any way to re-install this without running nandroid? I have my apps and contacts, etc backed up already with backup for root users.

Or, can I empty the contents of the nandroid folder on my SD card to install a bug-free cm4.2.1?

Thanks for any help!

• AndroidUsr October 26, 2009, 9:48 pm

@BlackMantis,
    Plz refresh my RAM w/ your issue… It’s been a while, thx.

• AndroidUsr October 26, 2009, 10:13 pm

@Deepak,
    ALT+E will get you that Underscore character

• AndroidUsr October 26, 2009, 10:28 pm

@David,
    You identified your Carrier as Orange, which is a French Carrier. You need the Specific ROM for the Euro HTCs which is RC7. The U.S. equivalent is RC29. After RC7 has been applied, you then proceed following the same instructions as those for MODding a U.S. G1.

Here is that info: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_G1/Dream/Magic32B_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod

• AndroidUsr October 26, 2009, 10:45 pm

@ James Traynor,

Nandroid is a Backup utility for the ROM itself. The Backup app you have installed as Root, only saves your Android OS (Operating System) files. The two processes are physically and logically different. You WANT a Nandroid backup.

1) The “bug” you describe can be eliminated in 1 of 2 ways.
    > re-boot into Recovery Console – HOME+POWER on boot.
    > WIPE (ALT+S) Then,
    > Console ALT+X
    > hit the ENTER key
    > type: fs_upgrade
    > re-boot
    If that fails, onto Step 2

2) Like the Dentist, this may hurt , but it will alleviate your ‘pain’.
    > Follow the link below & follow ALL instructions:

• AndroidUsr October 28, 2009, 1:32 am

@AndroidUsr,
    Dude! WIPE is (Alt+W). My apologies to all. ‘Twas a looong day

• Jim October 28, 2009, 5:10 am

Is there any way to install this mod without losing all the installed/purchased apps and settings? I’ve had this for a few months already and there is quite a bit on the phone that I would not like to have to reinstall/configure. Will apps2sd or mybackup (rerware) help?

• Mr.Sinister October 28, 2009, 9:53 am

I recently tried flashing cyanogen 4.1.99 to my G1 coming from a jesusfreke crb43.

everything went smooth up until the end when I rebooted my G1 to run the cyanogen 4.1.99….once it finished loading i got a FORCE CLOSE on all applications and processes.

what did i do wrong?

• AndroidUsr October 29, 2009, 8:29 am

@Mr. Sinister,
    I need more info to determine what went “wrong”.
    I need info on method used to transition from CRB43 to .99… plz

• AndroidUsr October 29, 2009, 8:30 am

@William,
    Define “flash program”…
    Need specifics plz.

• AndroidUsr October 29, 2009, 8:36 am

@Jim,
    Yes & no… Yes you have to install & lose settings. No on having to re-buy said apps. Market works like the iTunes Store; once you buy, you’ll be able to download due to your profile being saved w/ Google. But, once you’re done w/ the Mod, all your apps will be on your SD card. That method is app-safe from deletion unless you choose…

A little pain now for a LOT of gain later… Promise!
    FYI: buy yourself a 4 or 8 or 16 Gb SD card & never worry about space.

• BLACKMANTIS October 29, 2009, 4:28 pm

@AndrodUsr
    Memory Flash:

To which you advised:
    Do you still have root? (Terminal, su, ALWAYS ALLOW or ALLOW)
    > If so; reboot into Recovery
    > Perform a Nandroid Backup
    When done, reboot holding the HOME key
    What Recovery are you looking at? It should say:
    Build: CyanogenMod v1.4 Recovery + JF

Me:

I have Terminal Emulater but typing “su” and enter nothing happens, is it because I have done it before in the past? So do i proceed with your instructions anyway?
    Thanks Mr AndriodUsr.

I tried to go into my recovery mode and I got the triangle with the exclamation mark. So i tried (power+cam) and it spewed this out:
    DREA110 PVT 32B
    HBOOT-0.95.0000
    CPLD-4
    RADIO-1.22.12.29

Sep 2 2008

Serial0

I hope this helps.

• BLACKMANTIS October 30, 2009, 5:45 am

@ AndriodUsr
    I have realised I removed the my recovery console app. It was the manual version which required Ctrl+W, Ctrl+L and soo forth. That is why my recovery is not kicking in.

• Jim October 31, 2009, 8:09 am

@AndroidUsr I bit the bullet and did the mod. It worked great. Just reinstalled everything from the market and restored my backed up data with MyBackup Pro. Much better now. Now I have to try to do the apps2sd. Fingers crossed.

• BLACKMANTIS October 31, 2009, 10:55 am

@AndriodUsr
    I still need help installing the new Updates. I am still on Cyanogen 4.0.4 with backup FAILED from Flashrec.
    Please help.

• gussde October 31, 2009, 12:59 pm

Is there a way to get back the tmo alerts and ringtones?

• Jesus November 2, 2009, 3:00 pm

BRILLIANT!

• Kefka November 7, 2009, 8:03 am

@Michael Angeles I had the same problem, I’ve just rebooted the phone and then I apply the 4.2.3.1 version, then i went to the console and tiped fix_permissions and now it works, it seems that everything is working and there’s no slow down or error. bye

• BLACKMANTIS November 9, 2009, 5:06 am

@ AndriodUsr
    Hello, it has been more than 3 months that I have been trying get help from this site but unfortunately i just get ignored .
    Can you help please?
    Thanx in advance.

• AndroidUsr November 9, 2009, 2:23 pm

@Blackmantis,
    1) Sir my apologies for your frustration. However, i’m a private individual that simply Posts on this site to help those who are having issues; & as such, am not affiliated w/ this Site.
    2) I was on Holiday w/ no www or email access.

e-me: androidusr@gmail.com, Far easier that way…

• BLACKMANTIS November 9, 2009, 2:51 pm

@AndroidUsr
    No Sir I am in no way, shape or form having a go at you and if it seemed so my sincere apologies. I was just curious as to why I was being neglected. As the old proverb goes beggars can’t be choosers.

Please give me a hand when you can, we can even do it over msn if you have the time.
    I really appreciate your efforts, you guys rock.

• AndroidUsr November 9, 2009, 3:21 pm

@Blackmantis,
    Lol, no worries. e-me @ 1300 hrs. I can help you @ that point

• BLACKMANTIS November 11, 2009, 8:50 pm

@ AndriodUsr
    YOU ROCK!

• AndroidUsr November 12, 2009, 12:47 am

@ Blackmantis,
    Lol, Thank you Sir. Your efforts are to be lauded as well. you were very easy to work w/.
    Cheers!

• AndroidUsr November 12, 2009, 12:49 am

Greetings to all!

4.2.4 is now available via CM Updater (Market). Far better Browser & lots of bugs fixed. Vast improvement over 4.2.3

Kudos to Cyanogen

• Jeremiah November 16, 2009, 11:02 pm

I’ve been scouring the net all day for bits and pieces of info to collect a comprehensive guide for myself as this is my first root/MOD attempt and I have to say your guide is flawless! Has the added little bits that can save a newb like myself hours of frustration and headache. True I did, have to wipe and reinstall a second time due to the Android logo hanging, but I knew to do that on my own after having done my research. Thanks soooo much for your great work!!

• Jules January 8, 2010, 6:45 am

Hi,
    My keyboard is kind of broken. How can I update the firmware to this release without it?
    Can the fix_permission command be executed thanks to a virtual keyboard or thru the computer?

• AndroidUsr January 8, 2010, 11:22 am

@ jules:
    2 Options
    1) Try SSH, or Open SSH from your Mac/PC
    2) file an Insurance claim w your Carrier… $25 gets you a new G1 in most cases

• Jules January 8, 2010, 11:29 am

Thanls for the answer.
    Phone is not insured anymore…
    My question was actually is ssh ou telnet or whatever other remote stuff working during this step?

• mike February 22, 2010, 10:01 pm

Newb to cyanogen and wanted to make sure if these steps were compatible with stock g1.also got stuck on th link to-the 6-20 steps when I got a “backup failed.” Probably because I’m upgraded to 1.6donut but just checking before I downgrade it to 1.1. If so,wanted to know where I should perform th backup.at 1.1 or 1.5? Thanx

• Rigo89 March 4, 2010, 12:26 am

it this mod only for G1 or i can also use it on My Touch? cuz when i get to step #8 it says the installation has been aborted..what can i do??? plz help!?!?!

• yomamma March 8, 2010, 7:57 pm

After installation of recovery flasher, there is a “Launch” and “Cancel” button. No “Open”.
    “Launch” is greyed out. PLZ hlp

• Revanth September 14, 2010, 3:29 pm

HI THX for the Notes & in my case everything went fine till last step….when it reboots T-Mobile G1 screen appears n then Cyanogen Mod Android logo appears & then it gives nothing but just a blank screen..nothing appears on it…why is it so? could you please help me out where am i doing wrong?

T-mobile G1

• Axe319 September 14, 2010, 3:47 pm

Ok first of all this tutorial is *very* outdated. I highly recommend cyanogens wiki page.for any questions you have try trolling xda. Most of the questions you have have already been answered there. Hope this helps. Just remember when you mess up don’t be discouraged. We’ve all been there

• henry February 23, 2012, 4:39 pm

I am pretty sure I killed my G1. I was in the process of rooting my G1. I made it up til it was time to flash the SPL. Basically I flashed the SPL without having the cutom ROM on my SD card. Now my phone is frozen on the Tmobile G1 intro. What do I need to do?