This brief tutorial will guide you through upgrading CyanogenMod 4.1.99 to 4.1.999 on your Android G1 phone.
Fortunately, the process to go from 4.1.99 to 4.1.999 is much, much easier than updating to 4.1.99 itself. For a full list of all the changes in v4.1.999 see the changelog. One of the bigger changes is that bluetooth is now 100% working. Please note: the steps outlined in this tutorial require that your G1 is currently running 4.1.99. You cannot use the method outlined below to go from any version other than 4.1.99 to 4.1.999. If you need help installing 4.1.99, please see this tutorial.
- Start out by downloading CyanogenMod 4.1.999 here (or from this mirror).
- Copy the .zip file to your G1’s SD card.
- Boot into Recovery Mode by powering off your phone, and then powering it back on while holding down the Home button.
- When the Android system recovery screen loads, scroll to nandroid v2.2 backup and select it by clicking your trackball.
- Before applying any upgrade, it’s a good idea to perform a backup with nandroid. The process only takes a couple of minutes.
- Once the backup has completed, scroll to apply any zip from sd and select it by clicking your trackball.
- Select the update-cm-4.1.999-signed.zip file on your SD card. Make sure to select the one ending in .999 if you still have version .99 on your card.
- Click the file with your trackball. You’ll be prompted to confirm this action by clicking the Home button on your phone. Do so now.
- CyanogenMod 4.1.999 will now install.
- Once the installation has completed you’ll see the message Install from sdcard complete on the Android system recovery screen. Now scroll to reboot system now and click it with your trackball.
- Your phone will now reboot. Don’t be at all surprised or alarmed if your phone takes longer to start up. Both the mobile providers boot screen (in my case T-Mobile) and the Android boot screen (pictured below) may be displayed for longer than usual. Again, this is normal.
- One of the minor smaller changes in 4.1.999 is the inclusion of some new wallpaper. In case you missed the link at the beginning of this tutorial, see the see the changelog for a full list of new features and fixes.