One of the most annoying ‘features’ of a PC with Windows freshly installed, is that it highlights all the new programs you install. Disabling this behavior is one of the first thing I do when I’m working with Windows 7. Keep reading for the brief walk-through.
- As you can see in the screenshot below, Windows loves to highlight newly installed programs.
- I don’t like it when Windows does that, so I disable it. To do so, right-click on any blank space in the Windows taskbar. Select Properties from the pop-up.
- Select the Start Menu tab from the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window. Then click the Customize… button.
- Scroll down until you find the item Highlight newly installed programs – and remove the check mark from that box. Click OK to return to the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, and click OK there as well.
- Now each time you install a new program, Windows won’t highlight its entry in the Start Menu.