This brief tutorial will show you how to download and install new themes for your Windows 7 PC.
Though Windows 7 includes lots of “eye-candy” that previous versions of Windows didn’t, it can still get a little dull using the same theme day and in and out. Here’s how you can download and install new themes for Windows 7 –
- The screenshot below illustrates the default theme in Windows 7.
- If you’d like to change things up a bit, try downloading some other themes directly from Microsoft. Just head over to the Microsoft Desktop Themes page.
Select one that you want to try. Remember – you can always change back to the default theme (or any other) whenever you’d like. So trying out a couple of themes is a good idea. For this tutorial I opted to install the “Cats Everywhere” theme.
- Save the file to your Desktop or Downloads folder.
- Once the download has completed, locate the file and double-click it.
- The theme will install itself and the Personalization section of the Control Panel will open. You’ll notice that your newly installed theme is now the one selected – and that theme is the one that Windows 7 is now using.
- As seen in the screenshot of my desktop below, themes can change the appearance of Windows 7 quite nicely.
- If you ever decide you’re bored of one theme and watch to switch to another, just right-click an empty space on your Desktop and select Personalize.
- Once again the Personalization section of the Control Panel will open, and from here you can select a different theme to use.
- That’s it! Happy customizing!
Once you’ve found a theme you like, you can also configure Windows to stop other users from being able to change your theme.