This brief tutorial will show you how to the Dropbox “selective sync” feature – which allows you to specify the files you want to sync on a device by device basis. This guide will explain the steps for the Windows Dropbox client.
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed latest version of Dropbox.
- Click the Dropbox icon in your System tray and then click the “user icon” in the upper-right corner of the panel (see screenshot below). Finally, select Preferences from the pop-up menu.
- Select the Sync tab, and then click the Selective Sync… button.
- From here you can remove the check mark next to each folder that you don’t want to sync on this Windows PC.
- In the example below I removed the Camera Uploads and Music folders – which means they will be deleted from this Windows PC, and will not sync with Dropbox in the future. Click the Update button to apply the changes.
- Click the Update button again in the confirmation dialog box.
- That’s it! Now you know how to use the selective sync feature of Dropbox. Open a File Explorer and check your Dropbox folder – any folders that you removed the check mark next to back in step #5 will be removed. If you ever want to re-enable syncing of those folders, just repeat this process but add the check-mark back.
- That’s it!