Undoubtedly a lot of you out there have a Gmail account, and you might want to access it from an email client. Here we show you how to add your Gmail account to Windows Live Mail 2011.
1. If you haven’t done so already, download and install Windows live Mail 2011. If you need help setting it up, check out our Beginner Guide to Setup Windows Live Mail 2011. After you have it installed go ahead and launch the Live Mail app, click the Accounts tab, then the Add Email icon.
2. In the window that comes up enter in your Gmail account information and decide if you want the account to be the default.
* Notice that they advise you should enable IMAP in your Gmail Account.
3. Before we continue setting up Live Mail, let’s go to our Gmail account and make sure IMAP is setup. Log into your Gmail account and click on Settings in the upper right hand corner.
4. On the Settings page click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP, in the IMAP Access section check Enable IMAP, then make sure to click on Save Changes.
5. Now go back to Windows Live Mail and click the Next button to continue configuring the Gmail account for Live Mail. Success!
6. Close out of the success message and a dialog will come up letting you know Live Mail is gathering your messages from Gmail.
7. Now you’ll see your Gmail account listed in the navigation pane in Windows Live Mail 2011 and can send and receive emails from your Gmail account.
That’s all there is to it! Setting up Gmail has gotten a lot easier in this new version of Live Mail and you shouldn’t need to manually configure your settings. If you’re having problems setting it up and these instructions aren’t working for you, leave a comment and I’ll show you how to set it up manually.