This step by step guide explains how to add your Gmail account to the Windows Live Mail 2011 app.
- The very first thing you’ll need to do is enable IMAP in your Gmail account, which is super easy to do. Open Gmail in a web browser and sign into your account. Click the Settings button (the “cog” looking icon in the upper-right corner) and select See all settings
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Select the Enable IMAP option in the IMAP access: section. Click the Save Changes button to make sure the change gets applied.
- If you don’t already have the Windows Live Mail app on your PC, download and install Windows Live Essentials 2011. If you need help setting it up, check out our Beginner Guide to Setup Windows Live Mail 2011. After you have it installed go ahead and launch the Live Mail app, click the Accounts tab, then the Add Email icon.
- In the window that comes up enter in your Gmail account information and decide if you want the account to be the default.
- Click the Next button to continue configuring the Gmail account for Live Mail. Success!
- Close out of the success message and a dialog will come up letting you know Live Mail is gathering your messages from Gmail.
- Now you’ll see your Gmail account listed in the navigation pane in Windows Live Mail 2011 and can send and receive emails from your Gmail account.
That’s all there is to it! Setting up Gmail has gotten a lot easier in this new version of Live Mail and you shouldn’t need to manually configure your settings. If you’re having problems setting it up and these instructions aren’t working for you, leave a comment and I’ll show you how to set it up manually.