This guide will show you how to re-download Books (eBooks) that you’ve purchased from Amazon onto a Fire tablet or another device running the Kindle app.
When this guide was first published (way back in 2011!) the process to re-download a book from the Amazon store to your Kindle app or was considerably more complicated, and there was only one way to do it. Fast forward to 2021 and now it’s much easier and there are multiple ways to do it. You can either download them using the Kindle app or you can deliver them to your device from Amazon.com.
- Open the Kindle app on your device. For the sake of this guide I’m using Kindle on an iPhone, but it will be nearly identical if you’re using an iPad, Android device or a Fire tablet.
- Sign into your Amazon account.
- Select LIBRARY from the row of options at the bottom of the Kindle app window.
- Select the ALL filter found towards the top of the Kindle app window.
- Now just find the book that you want to download to your device. Once you find it, tap it.
- It’ll begin to download, which probably won’t take very long as eBooks are typically pretty small in size.
- Tap it again to open the book up.
- Have fun reading!
- You can use Amazon.com to send the book to each of the devices that have the Kindle app on them (and Fire tablets from Amazon). The only catch is that the steps and screenshots used below are from Amazon US and they will differ from region to region. For example, I also use Amazon Canada, and the interface is slightly different. If you’re using a version of Amazon that isn’t the US version (ie. amazon.com), you should still be able to follow along – just don’t be surprised if things aren’t in the exact same place. Start by signing into Amazon and navigate to your Account section.
- Look for a section or link titled Your Devices and Content and select it.
- This time click the Manage digital content
- Place a check in the box next to the book that you want to re-download or send to a different device, and then click the Deliver or Remove from Device button.
- This time make sure there’s a check in the box next to each of the devices you want the book to be available on, then click the Make Changes button. If there’s a device you don’t want the book on, just make sure there’s no check next to the box that represents that device.
- A notification message will appear in your browser letting you know the book is being sent to your device(s) – and a reminder to make sure that device is connected to the Internet so that it can receive the book.